Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any colors you struggle with? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-colors-you-struggle-t294823.html)

melodyr 02-16-2018 06:16 AM

Pink is my problem. Even when faced with making a baby quilt for a little girl, I'll do anything to not use pink. I don't have any personal problems with the color, I just can't seem to make it sing. If you look through my stash, it is mostly 'autumns' so that may explain it.

sprice 02-16-2018 06:21 AM

I just don't like brown. Beige is OK, can do a lot with that and bright colors. Purple calls to me in my later years! Have always loved red.

platyhiker 02-16-2018 07:06 AM

I dislike a lot of shades of green, particularly shades of yellow-green and brown-green. I love Jinny Beyer's Moonglow quilt pattern, and love most of the color choices she put in the kit, but there are enough brownish-greens in there that I know owning it would annoy me. I toy with the idea of some day making it with a different selection of fabrics.

CanoePam 02-16-2018 07:10 AM

I am not fond of browns. I think it is because I prefer cool colors. I think that is what makes me so attracted to Moda fabrics since many of them have a cool undertone. However I am now working on a batik quilt for our bed which has browns with greens and some other shades. I am doing ok with it. I don’t buy for a stash, just for a specific project, and I think that helps me deal with colors that don’t sing to me.

QuiltE 02-16-2018 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Claire123 (Post 8004429)
I am curious... Is there a color you have a really hard time with, maybe avoid altogether? For some reason I have found that I avoid both pink and brown. I have seen beautiful quilts others have made that included one or the other, so I am not sure I can explain it.

..........and the two can go really nicely together in a quilt!

I seem to move around in colour favourites..... and ones I don't work with!
It used to be I never used white .... and it seems to be a regular now.
Friends use to laugh that all my quilts were green or had green ...
.... and I don;t think I have used it now, in over a year.
Never used reds, but this last year, it seemed to be right out there front, row and centre.

Kassaundra 02-16-2018 07:30 AM

I don't have a problem w/ any specific color, I love playing w/ all of them. But I do have issues w/ color families, like pastel, or the browned down dusty colors. Until I started playing in the Boom swaps I didn't have any of those colors.

Doggramma 02-16-2018 07:37 AM

I just made a quilt that says Rainbow is My Favorite Color, but I don't use much yellow or orange in real life.

Wanabee Quiltin 02-16-2018 08:14 AM

I’m just not a green person. I have no green in my closet to wear, no green, except houseplants in my home. I used to have a great deal of green in my home -Until - I realized I liked other colors far more than green. Oh, and having a MIL who wanted me to have a green home kind of soured me on green.

Watson 02-16-2018 08:25 AM

I'm another not-brown person.
I put all my fabric on comic boards and I have two browns. Both fat quarters I had to buy for a tree in a wall hanging.

Watson

Tothill 02-16-2018 09:40 AM

I am not a fan of pink, for anything. My best friend turns 50 in a couple months and her favourite colour is pink. I have almost completed (needs another border) a lap quilt for her and the main colour is pink. I did add some dark purple for contrast and to put a bit of me into her quilt.