Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any colors you struggle with? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-colors-you-struggle-t294823.html)

osewfast 02-16-2018 10:28 AM

Orange and some yellows. I rarely use any shade of orange, and very sparingly any yellows. I've learned to like greens. I'm drawn to blues - ALL shades, and purples.

I LOVE colors - but some speak to me more that others. Orange is completely silent, and yellow mumbles. hahaha! The only exception for this is sunsets...God goes BEAUTIFUL artwork using all His color pallet. =)

Now saying all this - I can admire colors in other people's work. I can look at something that features warm colors - reds/oranges/yellows - but have no desire to make something in these shades for myself. Show me something in blues/teals/purples/royal/peacock etc & I'll drool over it.

Y'all have a colorful day!
Donna Mc

sewbizgirl 02-16-2018 10:43 AM

Purple is not the fondest thing I'm of....

zozee 02-16-2018 10:51 AM

"No brown downtown" here, if I can help it. THat said, there are some deep chocolate browns, some saddle browns, and caramel bolts I've loved to look at. But to buy and use? Not unless I'm making a quilt for someone who loves it. I just finished a log cabin quilt for my sister in November which turned out really well. She loves all things "horse brown" and woodsy.

The other color is purple. I have very little in my stash. Oddly it was my favorite color once upon a time. But now I avoid it. My purple pieces must lay in the fabric drawer sulking, wondering what in the world they did wrong that they get no attention.

HettyB 02-16-2018 02:29 PM

I am not thrilled with pastel colours but more so, I can't stand mustardy-yellows and orangey-browns and patterns reminiscent of the 1960s and 1970s (that seem to be popular right now). I was born in 1961 and I didn't like this palette as I kid. Now it just reminds me of how old I am!

sewingsuz 02-16-2018 02:38 PM

I don't like a lot of orange or brown. I must have had too much of it in the 60' and 70's.

SusieQOH 02-16-2018 02:52 PM

Brown, orange, and purple. But I see so many beautiful quilts on this board with those colors. I did buy that new Tiger Lily orange that's the "color of the year" but I don't really like it lol Glad I only bought a little bit.

Jingle 02-16-2018 04:39 PM

I love all colors, maybe not all shades. I have 5 Grandsons, and a couple of family loved friends and a SIL, so browns and greens are a must have for me making guy quilts.

DACO48 02-16-2018 07:50 PM

I too struggle with yellow.

Teen 02-16-2018 07:57 PM

Definitely brown.....I'm a "so bright it burns your eyes out" kinda girl and use black and/or white to contrast. I've used it in quilts when gifting....lots a people like green....but these are often not my favorite quilts.

jmoore 02-17-2018 03:34 AM

You won’t find much brown in my stash, nor purple...in fact, in doing BH’s On Ringo Lake, I substituted the brown for blue. I know both colors have their place in combination with other colors because I have seen many beautiful quilts that include them, just not in mine. : )