Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Any colors you struggle with? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/any-colors-you-struggle-t294823.html)

maminstl 02-17-2018 04:56 AM

I like all colors in some range, but the one that will sit on the shelf forever is tan - specifically tans with a yellow undertone. That sounds pretty specific, and it is. I am not a fan of baby pastels either, but they don't offend my eye quite like that tan color does.

sewnclog 02-17-2018 05:22 AM

I'm not big on browns and some greens (the od type and those that tend to lean toward olive) and 2nd up is yellows and oranges. Then I find a pattern that incorporates them and have to go to the lqs to look for some and the store is an hour away, so I do keep a 'little' I my stash although usually not the shade I want.

Mary Rita T 02-17-2018 05:39 AM

Although green is my favorite color, I often struggle finding a range of compatible green fabrics for a project. Combinations that seem ok inside sometimes become incompatible in sunlight. I am lucky to have retired in a place where the sun shines almost every day.

EmiliasNana 02-17-2018 06:24 AM

I like some shades of all colors but the thing I rarely use are solids, except for appliques. Don't know why as some all solid quilts are lovely, but I think it is harder for me to pair solids and they seem to stick out in a mostly print quilt. If I want a solid appearance I usually end up using a mottled or tone-on-tone. What about you?

JENNR8R 02-17-2018 06:58 AM

I definitely avoid pink and purple...

Some color combinations make me ill to look at like red and yellow...

My favorites are peach and blue... yummmmm!

pchp 02-17-2018 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by EmiliasNana (Post 8005222)
I like some shades of all colors but the thing I rarely use are solids, except for appliques. Don't know why as some all solid quilts are lovely, but I think it is harder for me to pair solids and they seem to stick out in a mostly print quilt. If I want a solid appearance I usually end up using a mottled or tone-on-tone. What about you?

EmiliasNana, I'm with you regarding solids, except for solid black. I also tend to avoid white or white-on-white.

JanieH 02-17-2018 11:51 AM

Orange is the color I have the most trouble using. As a personal challenge, I bought some of Kona's Color of the Year Orange and am looking for ways to incorporate it in my quilts.

ube quilting 02-17-2018 06:49 PM

I have two kinds of trouble with colors. As my eyes age it is so much harder to see dark colors when on top of each other for piecing. Seeing the edges lined up is troublesome, not impossible but time consuming to double check my work.

In another sense, I am not drawn to pure primary colors, red, yellow and blue. I find them harsh and agitating rather than soft and soothing which is what I like my quilts to be. I have very little in my stash and that is fine. If these are the only colors in the crayon box I don't ever use, that's okay.

Claire123 02-23-2018 11:04 PM

Thank you, everyone for sharing your thoughts on this subject. I am looking for ways to use colors that I don't usually use, such as smaller projects: organizers, BOM's or in very small amounts in a bigger quilt. I was surprised to hear what a wide range of colors there is that everyone struggles with!

Annie68 02-24-2018 06:28 AM

I have no problem with any particular color, if a quilt calls for it I use it. I make lots of scrap quilts for kids, therefore it's easy to use lots of color.