Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   basic stippling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/basic-stippling-t126075.html)

Blackberry 05-28-2011 04:08 AM

I am like you. I do mostly SITD but I have done a little meandering. I just don't like the heavy hard feel of stippling. I like a little puffiness here and there. I don't see myself ever doing stippling.

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
At the moment, I only do SITD on quilts. However, I have done meandering on a few placemats and purses. I don't see myself progressing beyond meandering. I like my quilts floppy too!

katier825 05-28-2011 05:29 AM

It took me forever to get my stippling looking good. I like loops and swirls better...at least I like MY loops and swirls better than MY stippling! LOL

majormom 05-28-2011 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree

Originally Posted by DebraK

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I'm not a fan of too much stippling because it seems to make the quilt hard. I prefer meandering or outlines. Nice and floppy for me. Now I think stippling is wonderful in trapunto because it makes the designs pop.

I always get meandering and stippling mixed up.

Stippling is when none of the lines cross. Meandering lets you cross the lines. I always start of stippling, but end up with meandering. :lol:

Me Too!

:lol: :oops:

mimee4 05-28-2011 06:22 AM

I do a lot of stippling. I guess I make it like meandering/stippling. I don't cross lines but do make it bigger and floppy.

GrammaBabs 05-28-2011 06:26 AM

stippling for me was just too difficult... it turned into "looping"... which just flows out of me with ease... i just love it!!! I think our bodies know what's natural for us... now the trick is to relax and breathe... i've added a few "loopy daisys" and can "write up a storn"... LOL

lillybeck 05-28-2011 06:52 AM

I do this all the time because it is fairly easy to do on my regular machine

Shirlx 05-28-2011 08:54 AM

I just finshed a first meandering on a quilt I made and it was so much fun.

juliea9967 05-28-2011 09:05 AM

I stipple on the long arm even, with a panto cause that is the only thing I can do. I would love to be able to stipple my baby quilts, but unless I have a stipple pattern to follow I just can't do it. I start out OK, but soon I am wondering where I am going to go next. It is just one of those things that I can't do. I have a friend who free hand micro stipples a lot of her quilts on her sewing machine. I can meander, and still lose my place sometimes, but I can not free hand stipple.

Joanne9of12 05-28-2011 09:37 AM

Stippling and larger meandering are my favorite machine quilting patterns.

vivientan 05-28-2011 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1

Originally Posted by GreatStarter
Of course it's ok to do only basic stippling on your quilts. Some people never get past stitch in the ditch quilting. I suspect that after you do a few quilts with all stippling, you will get better at then doing other designs. Good luck.
Kat

oh really? I hated stitch in the ditch.. i could never keep my lines straight :(

I'm not sure what machine you are using but you could consider buying a ditch foot to keep your lines straight.

I'm very new to FMQ and am currently practicing on my practice sandwiches, before I progress into sewing on a real quilt. Doing mostly meandering designs. I'm also practicing a loop-de-loop design, which is another variation of meandering. Find this much manageable than the usual meandering design.