Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginning quilt classes that want perfection!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginning-quilt-classes-want-perfection-t166598.html)

gcherie2 11-07-2011 07:26 AM

I was very lucky and had a professional quilter who also was a homemaking teacher. She was actually a substitute for the class! When we got ready to sew 1/4 inch seams, she handed out small index cards which the top line was actually 1/4 inch from the top of the card. She had us place our machine needle on that line making sure the card was stright! Then we took Blue painter's tape and put on our machines at the edge of the card! We put enough layers to make a sewing guide to push our seams up against. If the fabric wants to slip over the tape, then you haven't put on enough tape. We all sewed like pros from then on! She felt like the card was a more accurate method than trying to put the tape on the mark of the throat plate, and it was a lot easier!

sewmary 11-07-2011 07:47 AM

I was/am a teacher.

Yes, learning a consistent 1/4" seam is impotant but it is the way a teacher goes about it that makes all the difference in the worl. It is one thing to stand over someone and say "Rip it out. It's not right." as oppsoed to saying "That was a good try. Let's see what we can do to get your seams closer to 1/4"." Especially since we are adults and should be respected as such.

As for LQS classes: I am convinced that the vast majority of the "techers" should not be there. One class the teacher showed the technique one time and then sat there while we struggled. One class the teacher did not like my approach and fabrics and thus I was ignored the whole class. One just was there to sell kits. I am saving my money for fabric. Learn more from videos on line.

Val in IN 11-07-2011 07:58 AM

Fortunately my beginners quilting classes at my LQS wasn't like that. My teachers did stress the importancy of accuracy in both cutting and sewing but at the same time told us over and over again that those things weren't instantly going to come to us. Accuracy is important, but it is some thing we all work toward. It's a learning process. Please tell your sister that she should consider taking a class somewhere else and before she signs up she should let them know about her previous unfortunate experience.

Holice 11-07-2011 08:16 AM

I don't agree that this student is getting "bad advice". The teaching approach may be wrong but the concept is not. Accuracy not only produces good work but lessens the frustration level. My advice is to work thru the class and try to overlook the attitude and the method of teaching but learn the concepts being taught. You will benefit in the future when you select other classes.

dgjlt 11-07-2011 08:19 AM

I'm a newbie at quilting and i joined the BOM the owner is very nice .A friend of mine suggest i do this and she has been great in helping me when i get stuck or discourged.I tore out my blocks 4 times and then just gave up she told me to bring it to her and she would try to figure it out.She measured all my 1/4 seams and they where on but my whole block was off.We came to the conclusion the reason its off is that i tore it out to many times and stretch the fabric. I hope the next one i do comes out alot better then the first one.But don't get discourged pratice does make perfect.

babeyruth 11-07-2011 09:22 AM

I would encourage her to find a different LQS, or a different teacher. Early impressions really do matter when starting out.

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky (Post 4642279)
My sister-in-law is learning how to quilt. She went to her LQS (she lives in Albuquerque) and signed up for a class. The teachers are uber-perfectionists, to the point where if your seam isn't a perfect 1/4", you have to rip it out. Her machine is doing a fat 1/4" (which I told her not to worry too much, since all of her pieces will be a tad shorter, so it evens out), but they freaked out and told her it's awful. UGH!! It really bugs me since that is not how you teach new students! At my LQSs (in Tucson), they were always super nice. They explained how to adjust to get the right seam and ways to pin for accurate points but would never make you tear something out because it wasn't perfect (though I did have to tear out once because I sewed too far in and it threw off the block, but that was a construction issue, not a seam issue). And looking back at my first quilts, they were okay but not great (which is expected) and I DIDN'T GET DISCOURAGED SINCE I HAD KIND TEACHERS. I've repeatedly told her to not get discouraged or worry and such. It's just really bugging me, since that's such a bad way to teach anything. But especially something where it's practice makes perfect. :)

KathyPhillips 11-07-2011 09:26 AM

I agree with what has been said, but some patterns will not work well, will not line up properly without 1/4" seams. I am getting the monthly quilt blocks from my LQS, already cut out, and the flying geese do not work with a fat 1/4" seam which is what my machine foot measures. I had to force myself to make a 1/4" seam, using a piece of tape to line up the fabric.

huntannette 11-07-2011 09:39 AM

aww that`s too bad...hope it won`t discourage her.....when i first learned it was at our local senior s club.....the teacher was so awesome and encouraging...even when things didn`t match up perfect she showed me little tricks to even it out....i still have a hard time with my 1/4 " seams...lol

MadQuilter 11-07-2011 09:50 AM

What a wonderful way to kill the creative ways of a fledgeling quilter. I'm sorry your SIL is in such an un-nurturing environment. This is so old school. I hope you can intervene so she won't lose her desire.

I am probably a teacher's worst nightmare. Went to one of my classes once when I was in a totally frazzled way. I only took my notebook because the only thing I was capable of that day was taking notes. The teacher got really angry with me and told me that it was a sewing class. I told her that I paid my fee and if I simply wanted to sit there and take notes that was my business - not hers. I am not disruptive. She finally backed off. Next week, I went back and all the notes had been turned into the project so I could keep going with the class.

I think that a quilting teacher should encourage the student to sew the 1/4" and explain WHY it is important. The student needs to realize that the better the prep work is done, the better the final result will be. However, it should be up to the student whether she wants to take the seam out and start over.

DonnaC 11-07-2011 10:19 AM

My goodness! I can't even imagine having such a discouraging teacher. Hopefully you can just keep encouraging your sister-in-law, and she will continue quilting.