Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Beginning quilt classes that want perfection!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/beginning-quilt-classes-want-perfection-t166598.html)

Quiltingthetownred 11-07-2011 10:43 AM

At the age of 9 my parents were told by my arts and crafts teacher that it would be better for me and the world (!) that I would never ever hold a needle again. I heard that and I really believed I couldn't do anything with a needle.
At the age of 33 I got the greatest teacher in the world. Within one lesson I was quilting 20 stitches on an inch, upside counted. I do handapplique and my goal is to have a quilt juried in in Houston or Paducah.
Now who was not capable, the teacher or me?

Teaching is not something you can do easily. Especially children and beginners should be encouraged to try, to experiment. Your SIL should not walk, but run out of class. If these teachers are not professionals, why would she want to learn from them?

Have fun quilting!
Emphasize fun.
Anymart

amandasgramma 11-07-2011 10:47 AM

That teacher sounds like my high school home ec teacher. Took me YEARS to sew again after I graduated. The teacher made me put a zipper in 5 different times.......and to this day I still don't know what was wrong, because it looked good every time!!!! Good that it was the teachers last class..........now my encouragement for your sister is same as others...tell her to find another teacher!!!!

Jim's Gem 11-07-2011 10:49 AM

I hope this does not turn her off from wanting to learn to quilt!

ywoodruff5 11-07-2011 11:23 AM

Personally, I think too much perfection takes the fun and creativity out of quilting. Some of my favorite quilts have been ones where I had to be creative to fix/change mistake....

Qltmom 11-07-2011 12:55 PM

Teacher from H_LL

I was not so lucky with my first teacher. She told me I was a terrible quilter and would always be a straight line quilter. I found out that she meant that all my quilts would be pieces of fabric sewn with straight seams. You cut them up in straight pieces and then sew them right back together. Was that a blow. I riped every seam I sewed in her class until I finally quit the class and quilting. I am back at the sewing machine but that will always be a bad memory for me.

fmhall2 11-07-2011 01:14 PM

That is no way to teach. I teach both sewing and quilting in my home. But this reminded me about 20 years ago while still living in So. Calif. my girl friend (also a quilter) and I had the opportunity to take a one day class from a nationally recognized quilter, who specialized in hand piecing and has written many books. During the lunch break Paula asked me if I looked closely at her work when she passed it around. I hadn't. "It's not perfect," she said. "Her stitches aren't any better than ours are." So please encourage your SIL to keep working.

JanieH 11-07-2011 01:59 PM

My first quilt class was like that - very controlled and critical. I didn't do anymore quilting for almost 5 years but did collect fabric and other quilt items. When I took another class, the teacher was great and so patient! So don't give up - just keep trying other classes and teachers until you find the one you can work with the best.

Iraxy 11-07-2011 02:20 PM

I take very few classes and do not belong to a guild for these very reasons. Some of the women (and men) but mostly women are just mean. To them I say get a life. Quilting is lots of fun and I thoroughly enjoy quilting with my friends but it is not my WHOLE life.
I love this board because it seems that there are many compassionate people on it who want to further the art and heart of quilting.

valsma 11-07-2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltingthetownred (Post 4647565)
At the age of 9 my parents were told by my arts and crafts teacher that it would be better for me and the world (!) that I would never ever hold a needle again. I heard that and I really believed I couldn't do anything with a needle.
At the age of 33 I got the greatest teacher in the world. Within one lesson I was quilting 20 stitches on an inch, upside counted. I do handapplique and my goal is to have a quilt juried in in Houston or Paducah.
Now who was not capable, the teacher or me?

Teaching is not something you can do easily. Especially children and beginners should be encouraged to try, to experiment. Your SIL should not walk, but run out of class. If these teachers are not professionals, why would she want to learn from them?

Have fun quilting!
Emphasize fun.
Anymart

Sounds like my sons art teacher in middle school. While his talent lies in drawing freehand, he was told he would never be an artist by a teacher. I could have punched that teacher. My son quit drawing for the longest time and doubted his ability. Finally he started drawing again and in high school they had a visiting cartoonist who worked for Disney visit his art class. He showed the man his drawings and the man told him he had a natural ability and with training he could become a cartoonist.
He kept up the practice and even though he didn't take any classes is now a tattoo artist who does a large amount of custom work for clients, including some portraits. His dream went from cartoonist to tattoo artist doing custom flash.
One thing I always heard and i'm sure in some instances agree with, "those who can do and those who can't teach."
Hope you get your dream of having your quilts juried where you would like to have them seen.

kacy 49 11-07-2011 03:44 PM

Just support her in her efforts. Quilting is suppose to fun. My first projects weren't perfect but I sure did learn from them. Give her an atagirl pat on the back.