Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Best Quilt Rulers (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/best-quilt-rulers-t199009.html)

junegerbracht 08-31-2012 07:36 AM

Creative Grid rulers are my favorite - especially love my 7/8" for half square triangles.

PenniF 08-31-2012 08:13 AM

I just wish someone would come out with a non-reflective ruler material....- like the non-reflective glass for picture frames........if it's out there, someone please let me know !!! .... that's my biggest complaint - the glare of my work light on the ruler surface when i'm trying to line up and be precise.

feffertim 08-31-2012 08:58 AM

I love my creative grid rulers, they are the best in my opinion. I just bought their log cabin ruler and it is great.

Ellie'sNana 08-31-2012 10:08 AM

I had heard about starching in the past but completely forgot about it. Thank you for the reminder. I will be cutting some things tonight and I am going to starch everything! Great advice!

Originally Posted by Vat (Post 5480703)
Omnigrid are my favorite. To start and stay with the same brand is one key. Accurate cutting is another key. But I have found in the past year and a half STARCH is the best thing I do. Starch every piece BEFORE I cut anything makes for better cutting, better piecing, less pinning (no pinning) , better quilts. I starch and press dry every piece stiff before I do anything else. Using the same machine start to finish makes a big difference. Pressing carefully makes a difference, an accurate 1/4 inch seam is also very important. Maybe some of this will help you.

Ellie'sNana 08-31-2012 10:09 AM

Amen! I thought it was just my eyesight. I had that it happen but I'm glad I'm not the only one. Very frustrating and tiring.

Ellie'sNana 08-31-2012 10:14 AM

I looked at these rulers and rotary cutters online and on YouTube. They look great and I would love to try them but I will have to ease my way into them because of the cost. Definitely will follow up with this. In the meantime Creative Grid, of which I have a couple, seems to be the ruler of choice. What great help everyone's input has been. I tend to be more of a lurker than a 'talker' on this Board but I so appreciate the kindness, the expertise, and the willingness to help others that I have encountered along the way. How refreshing! Thank you all!

Originally Posted by Silver Needle (Post 5480549)
Before deciding check out the TrueCut rulers. There is a lip on the edge of the ruler. The guide on their cutter rides on the lip and makes for accurate cutting because there are no slips with the rotary cutter. DH does most of my citing and he likes them, too.

skothing 08-31-2012 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5476874)
My current favorite is the Olfa line of rulers.

My current unfavorite line is Quilter's Rule because of the thickness of the lines.

Quilters rulers break easily. Told them about and they don't stand behind them.

purplefiend 08-31-2012 08:30 PM

I prefer the Omnigrid/grip rulers, all the other brands confuse me.