Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Blue and white stars, block exchange sign up (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/blue-white-stars-block-exchange-sign-up-t11418.html)

mrsj82 10-03-2008 01:33 PM

Wow, great idea! I hadn't even thought of doing that...thanks!

Calico92402 10-03-2008 01:41 PM

Can you add a 1" border and make it work for the block exchange?

mrsj82 10-03-2008 01:43 PM

Or I can do that...again didn't think about that...thanks for the suggestion! :lol:

quilt addict 10-04-2008 05:08 AM

Please sign me up. I've had a blue and white quilt on my want to do list.

Lisa

jstitch 10-04-2008 05:11 AM

you're in... welcome

SazuBMidlands 10-06-2008 11:34 AM

I've bought and washed my fabric, and cut up lots of squares. Just now wondering about advice on pressing half square triangles. I've seen the advice that I should press down with the iron rather than move it about, but are there any more tips specifically on how to press half square triangles? I'm hoping for perfect points... :?

ddrobins1956 10-06-2008 03:29 PM

That's right Sazu, pressing down without moving the iron around too much will keep your square in good shape. For me, the thing that can throw my block out of kilter faster than anything else is not keeping a consistent 1/4 in. seam. My machine that I use the most for my piecing, my old workhorse 38 yr old Kenmore, it does not have a quarter inch foot. But I made a mark where my fabric should line up to achieve that 1/4 in seam allowance and that's my bit of advice.

jstitch 10-06-2008 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by SazuBMidlands
I've bought and washed my fabric, and cut up lots of squares. Just now wondering about advice on pressing half square triangles. I've seen the advice that I should press down with the iron rather than move it about, but are there any more tips specifically on how to press half square triangles? I'm hoping for perfect points... :?

Here is what I do when press all seams, including half square triangles..
First lay the piece on the ironing board flat and press the stitches..
Then lift the top piece and using your iron just above the fabric, lightly press the top piece away from the seam. Dont put undo pressure here, just press it open. This isnt ironing, but pressing..If you use a light hand, you wont have any trouble with the bias edges stretching..

practice it, you will see..

jstitch 10-06-2008 04:34 PM

OK I left out part of the instructions for the exchange.. sorry, Ill add it to the rules page also..

Please attach a little piece of paper with your message board id and if you want your real name on EVERY block you send me.. This is so that you know when you get them back who made the blocks in your quilt.

you can pin a piece of paper, or sticky labels.. anything that will stand up to me handling them during the re-distribution.

By the way, with all the participants, I think each of you will get a different set of blocks, so the quilts will all look different when done...

jstitch 10-06-2008 04:36 PM

Also, I have had a question about posting pictures of your blocks.. I say go ahead, no one is going the get the same set so, it would be nice to see them all.

Judy