Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Broken Quilt...Ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/broken-quilt-ideas-t206511.html)

AnnT 11-21-2012 03:53 AM

What a beautiful quilt. I can't offer any repair suggestions but like the dog applique and explanation.

rj.neihart 11-21-2012 05:39 AM

I ran into the same thing a couple of months ago. I didn't have any of the stash left from 10 years ago, so I matched the colors as close as I could. I first trimmed the area, then put the new small piece onto the hole (after placing a small piece of batting into the hole, and hand stitched the spot. She couldn't tell where - but I could! Her animal ate all the way through, so I had to replace the entire back. I then quilted it on the machine. It took me a couple of weeks, all holes are now filled and she's one warm happy camper once again!

AZ Jane 11-21-2012 05:46 AM

Love the dog appliqué idea!

gollytwo 11-21-2012 05:47 AM

Use your printer: I would xerox the fabric you need to replace onto printer-ready fabric and go from there.

Just saw the dog applique idea - a wonderful solution and less trouble.

Amythyst02 11-21-2012 06:09 AM

I am amazed at the amount of damage the dog did to that quilt. Quite heartbreaking, as it is very lovely. I have no idea for a fix, but all these ladies here will come up with the perfect solution I am sure.

bakermom 11-21-2012 06:15 AM

Do you have pictures of you sister and her dog? Print them on fabric and use them to patch the holes. Maybe fix the border with a wrap-around label.

KalamaQuilts 11-21-2012 06:22 AM

the idea of photocopying a block and then printing the image on fabric is brilliant, thank you all for that idea.

I'm going with the dog shape for the big hole, I'll make two, one a reverse image to put on the reverse side.
I'm plowing into Bonnie Hunters mystery Friday, but when I get the applique's finished I'll come back with photos!
Thanks again to everyone who posted!

I'll use a doxy shape...long dog for a long hole. I have two that are my delight and cross in life.

Peckish, I don't get down to Vancouver very often, because I seldom have a reason...you could be a reason if you'd like to have coffee one day. I'll bet we have other nearby members...

rosiewell 11-21-2012 07:12 AM

very distressing! I would applique the missing pieces at least where the hole is not too big. I fixed a quilt for a friend that way, it came out OK if you did not look too closely!

lillybeck 11-21-2012 07:29 AM

How about cutting it down on the sides right through the middle of your side squares and putting a large binding on it. The small hole could be patched with a heart appilque

MarieM 11-21-2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by SHELTIE'SMAMA (Post 5669730)
If you go for the dog shape applique how about in a blending color and a la quilt labels the info on how the hole/applique got there. The smaller holes might be covered with a blending dog bone shaped bone.

I was thinking the same type of thing. Children's coloring books might have a good pattern, perhaps a naughty puppy chewing on something.