Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Broken Quilt...Ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/broken-quilt-ideas-t206511.html)

Edie 11-22-2012 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews (Post 5669597)
All I can say is WOW - that was one hungry dog.

I have the same dog!!!!!!!!!! If a quilt lays good, tastes good, it is good!!!!! At least that is what Bess says. Find a fabric that will go with the quilt, mend it and remember that was the quilt that "Bowser" ate, or Bess ate. You'll have a memory of your chowhound long after he/she is gone and you'll smile! You will! Edie

QultingaddictUK 11-22-2012 10:45 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t196633.html I appliquéd over the huge hole in my lovely old quilt a awhile back and it's holding up fine.

KyKaren1949 11-22-2012 11:20 AM

Was it a Doxie??? LOL Ask me how I know!!!

Sierra 11-22-2012 11:35 AM

Your could consider the quilt-eating dog episode as part of the quilt's history and put in some puppy fabric that sort of blends into the colors of the quilt.

w7sue 11-22-2012 07:08 PM

I'm glad my old dog only ruined my carpet and hardwood floor - definitely easier to fix than a quilt - lol - not cheaper, but ...

We love our pets and forgive them for just about anything they do ... I love the idea about making a photo copy of the fabric and using it to mend -- but I like the applique of a dog and bones idea too along with a label telling the story.

Good luck!

Janquiltz 11-22-2012 07:34 PM

Would you believe that I am in the process of trying to fix the exact same issue on a quilt that belongs to a friend. Without going into details, I will just say that two puppies did a real number on a quilt that was made at least 10 years ago. I took photos of the different fabric that was used in the quilt and printed new fabric (made my own fabric sheets to keep the same feel to the fabric used in the quilt. Pups ate batting, parts of blocks, border, sashing, and binding in about 20 different places - not to mention an 18" vertical and 3-4 horizontal tears on the back. Took out the masicated blocks, and parts of the sashings that were chewed to pieces, and parts of the border and binding that is completely gone or chewed to threads. Took out the nasty string-like batting (poly by the way and thin as tissue paper.) and whipped stitched in replacement batting. Have been able to partially machine stitch replacement blocks and the rest will the appliquing into place - ditto the border, and binding. Will be appliquing in something to cover holes that can't be fixed any other way. The photos of the replacement fabric are close, but not an exact match. Was tempted to take pictures of the damaged areas and print those on fabric and applique over the damaged areas, but I believe my friend really wants the quilt put back as close as possible to the way it was before pups got ahold of it. I really like the applique idea and a label that tells the story. I am sure your sister was heart-sick when she discovered what her dog had done to the quilt that you made for her, and would be so happy to know that you are going to fix it. So sorry for your loss, and best of luck with your venture.

Peckish 11-23-2012 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts (Post 5671397)
Peckish, I don't get down to Vancouver very often, because I seldom have a reason...you could be a reason if you'd like to have coffee one day. I'll bet we have other nearby members...

I'd love to have coffee one day! I believe Kitsie is in Ridgefield, maybe she'd like to join us....

San Luis 12-30-2012 08:37 PM

Love the idea about printing off the story about how the damage happened onto photo-fabric and applique it to the quilt. I've got a quilt made by DH's grandmother in Alabama, bow-tie pattern, with muslin and feed-sacks. Hand pieced, hand quilted with the Baptist Fan design. The neatest part is the batting, I learned years later after the damage, later on that--that Grandma would go out to the cotton fields after the pickers had finished and would gather the leftover cotton bolls, card them then make her own batting for her quilts. About the damage: One really old winter day, when my oldest son was 10 or so, he took Grandma's quilt to bed with him, unbeknownst to me, he also took (snuck) an electric space heater to his room. You guessed it, a corner of the quilt caught fire, burned through some of the top, exposed the cotton batting. My story is a mixed, sad/glad one. Sad because the quilt is damaged, glad because of history and learning about Grandma's ingenuity and creativity.