Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother Sewing machines?? How do you like them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-sewing-machines-how-do-you-like-them-t217235.html)

Pattycakes 03-26-2013 07:22 AM

Brother Sewing Machines

I have 2 brother sewing machines. XL2600i and a SQ9050. I love how they work and have had no problems with them mechanically. Most of the problems I have had is operator error.

I have only had the SQ9050 for little over a month. But when I was looking for a new machine I looked at Amazon.com because I found their prices to be reasonable. They had several good deals on the Brothers. I was looking for a computerized machine. I did 4 months of research before I finally purchased my machine

A friend of mine at work has a Viking Embrodery machine. Which didn't come with a downloading cable. If you get an Sewing/Embrodery machine, be sure it has a cable to hook up to the computer to download updates and more patterns.

Good Luck on making a decission. I suggest making a list of all the features you are looking for before seeing a dealer if you go that route. They are good a swaying you to the machine they need to sell the most.

crafty pat 03-26-2013 08:30 AM

I bought a Brother as a back up for my Singer 401A . I really loved it and when my DD said she wanted a machine to start sewing I gave it to her and bought myself a Brother with all the quilting feet. I love it and I will be buying a brother embroidery machine soon.

IBQUILTIN 03-26-2013 09:15 AM

I have two Viking machines, a Prisma, and a Sapphire 870, but my friend has two brother machines, and loves them. I would think it would be a good idea to go try a few different machines to see what you like best. They are a real investment, so don't go in blind.

yweinst 03-26-2013 09:26 AM

I loved my cheapy brother and would have gotten the new v series if they weren't so pricey.

imnywoman 03-26-2013 01:04 PM

Okay, here's my 2 cents. I owned a Brother off the shelf from that ran for years without any trouble. So when I decided I wanted to do embroidery and saw everything they offered, I went for the Innovis D, which as you may know is a very pricey machine. Got the upgrades and thought I was set for life. Fast forward a couple years and the problems begin. I keep my machines meticulously clean, don't use canned air, regular cleaning and maintenance. Thread jam while I was at the dealer taking a Saturday class. They looked at it right away and the technician could not fix the problem. Off it goes to Brother in Georgia for repair. 3 weeks and $328 later back she comes and sews like a dream.

Fast forward 2 years and guess what? Again, a thread jam. Now, I have not had trouble using a non brand name thread. The first jam was using Robison-Anton thread. The second time was Brother thread. Having moved out of state and not being under warranty, I took it to my LQS for repair. They said their guy can fix any machine, 20+ years experience, yadda, yadda. Not only did I have to find and order the part after he diagnosed the problem, but he had never fixed my machine problem before. When I got it back, ($340 for labor plus the $45+ part I ordered) and started embroidering, it couldn't put down a basting stitch. Embroidered ok though. The shop told me I could bring it back to them, but I lost my faith. A year later, I try to embroider hankies and a freestanding lace and thread jam and threading problems again. I put it away, but not before I found that there were also other decorative stitches that would not stitch out. I just couldn't shell out another $350+ for repairs. I am totally disgusted with the machine, I am always afraid to start and ruin a project.

About 2 weeks ago, I took her out and decided that since there's no warranty, I might as well take her apart and see if I could fix it, which I had done before but always stopped short of taking the entire plastic case off. This time I took off as much as I could and got out a high powered LED flashlight. Looking into all the tiny spots and crevices I could my eye caught a tiny flash of green and proceeded to dig out of the uptake arm shiny green metallic thread which amounted to a small gumball. She seems to be working quite nicely now and I am happy. But I will always be waiting for the other shoe to drop. I have no faith in my Innovis or Brother.

I would not buy a combo machine for quilting. I actually went out and bought an old Singer 237 to quilt and general sewingand a Featherweight for travel. My expensive combo machine is used for embroidery only and decorative stitching. I also have a Bernina 600 that embroiders small designs. Don't look for all the bells and whistles just because they're available. You don't have to be in love with the dealer, you're not going to live with them, they are only there to services your machine and provide instruction as needed. Check out the satisfaction level of the dealer from other customers. Good luck.

patdesign 03-26-2013 02:06 PM

I have 2 Brothers, the Innovis 1250D which I only use for embroidery, and a Nouvelle1500s which I use strictly as a quilting machine. The 1500 is a straight stitch only but has a pin feed, an automatic cutter which I love and a lot of other features I love. I also have had from time a great number of Brothers machines which I have rescued and sold, and they all give great value for the price paid.
I also own a lot of vintage Singer machines which I consider equally good, but that 1500 is powerful and makes a beautiful straight stitch equal to a Featherweight, AND it has a higher and somewhat wider distance from arm to needle.
Pat

Lstew2212 03-26-2013 02:17 PM

I have a brother Innovis NX 450 Q that I would not trade for anything. It does everything I need it to do as far as quilting and sewing. My mother has the embroidery machine from brother and she loves it also. It is a good machine.

rainagade 03-26-2013 04:01 PM

I have 2 brothers, well actually 7 but those are people. I have the Brother Innovis 1500D ( purchased 4 yrs ago) and the Brother Pro1000e ( just got it). I love both of these machines. I purchased the Innovis on time and cash for the Pro1000e. I also have a Babyloc which is the one I carry to classes and such. I really like that one too.

The dealer is good to work with. I can get some problem solving help over the phone. They always make me feel they have all the time in the world when I need them.

Milli 03-26-2013 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hockeyrabbit (Post 5951284)
Hi Everyone-

I am in the market for a new machine, and would like to check out all the local dealers. I have a Bernina Virtuosa for piecing and it does a great job, but to be honest, I am looking for more bells and whistles. Like a thread cutter might be nice! HA! This is really the only machine I have, in addition to my long arm and Babylock quilters pro choice which I got for FMQ and then moved on to the longarm.

I don't like the Bernina dealers..they are very different breed. There is a local dealer who is about 20 minutes from my house that sells Brother machines..what do you think of them?? I could afford $2-3k if they had a payment plan, which she often does.

I am looking for a machine that is versatile..I can embroider and sew on it, plus comes with a lot of advanced features. When comparing Brothers to Bernina, it seems that Brothers have more "bang for the buck" but I don't want to sacrifice quality.

Anyways, do you think I should go and test some out? I have break next week and really want to do some research before ramming around. I could also look at Janomes.

Thanks, JC

I have a brother innovis 900d.
I love it!

debbiemarie 03-26-2013 06:11 PM

I went into our local retail sewing machine store and tried out the Brother machines, the tension was off on every machine he showed me. I ended up leaving with a nudge from the salesman, he didn't know what to say or how to adjust it. Is the tension a problem with the Brother machines?