Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Brother Sewing machines?? How do you like them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/brother-sewing-machines-how-do-you-like-them-t217235.html)

mimmy96 03-26-2013 06:42 PM

I have 2 brothers and love them! Brother is all that goes in this house now! :) :)

Stitchnripper 03-26-2013 07:10 PM

[QUOTE=debbiemarie;5956791]I went into our local retail sewing machine store and tried out the Brother machines, the tension was off on every machine he showed me. I ended up leaving with a nudge from the salesman, he didn't know what to say or how to adjust it. Is the tension a problem with the Brother machines?[/QUOTE

I have 4 brother machines and haven't had a tension problem on any of them.

cathyvv 03-26-2013 08:48 PM

I love my Brother SE-400. Third Brother for me - one was 'injured' during a fall while playing "survivor" in our car trunk last summer - worked fine until then. Bought one very low end to keep at my sisters home because we visit there often and I must have something to do! I share that one with my nephew.

I also have another low end Brother for another nephew and niece. That one is theirs to take home when/if their Mom agrees to it. They're my sewing buddies when they visit.

Maire 03-27-2013 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by debbiemarie (Post 5956791)
I went into our local retail sewing machine store and tried out the Brother machines, the tension was off on every machine he showed me. I ended up leaving with a nudge from the salesman, he didn't know what to say or how to adjust it. Is the tension a problem with the Brother machines?

None of my 7 Brother machines have or have had a tension problem, something sounds off with that store. Do they also sell another brand, maybe one that has a higher profit margin? All of mine have sewn perfectly right out of the box or right after I got them out of the car for the used ones. I am suspicious.

patdesign 03-27-2013 06:12 AM

NO Tension problems with Brother, just apparently got a very inexperienced salesperson. Most likely some kid or adult was playing with knobs on the displays. Too Bad they didn't have a knowledgeable salesperson to help you.
Pat

patdesign 03-27-2013 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl (Post 5951661)
Actually babylock buys their machines, they are identical. Brother is the company that comes up with the technology they are definitely not their poor cousin. Babylock just has a different low end line than brother

I have to comment here, anytime you pay thousands for a sewing machine I do not consider them a poor relation rather a good value for the money and the other brand you mentioned is overpriced!
Pat

tenngal 03-27-2013 11:59 AM

I've used mine for 13 years - just a little thing, but sews very well. Thinking about getting another one with all the bells and whistlres this time.

dahlshouse 03-28-2013 05:07 AM

I purchased my 1st Brother (NX2000) a little over a year ago and I love it...

kat13 03-28-2013 08:18 AM

I have a 6000i that I still love but needed a bigger throat space so I got a innovis QC-1000 for 1400.00 and I will never use all the bells and whistles. Then amazon had the PE500 embroidery machine on sale for 230.00 so decided
it was a good deal to get my feet wet. I'm all set for under 2k! I haven't had a chance to play with my singer 99k at all or my featherweights, I need a bigger house....

Marilyn Philips 03-30-2013 06:12 PM

:thumbup::thumbup: I have 2 Brothers. The Innovis QC 1000 is the higher end and a BC1000 which I bought at Targets for under $200 because I needed a lighter weight machine for classes and sewing events with my local guild.

Both are great machines and I have never had a problem with the tension.

Originally Posted by debbiemarie (Post 5956791)
I went into our local retail sewing machine store and tried out the Brother machines, the tension was off on every machine he showed me. I ended up leaving with a nudge from the salesman, he didn't know what to say or how to adjust it. Is the tension a problem with the Brother machines?