Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying Too Many Quilt Books? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-too-many-quilt-books-t227946.html)

kay carlson 08-14-2013 12:33 PM

I enjoy books in all forms: those ideas I capture in a 3-ring notebook; ebooks, soft or hardcover books. Lately, I have found myself concentrating on specific era history books and enhance the subject with culture and quilt fabric/patterns. Suddenly, several topics seem to be merging and my understanding has increased.

My quilt books are either categorized by technique or author/ designer. My favorites include the late Mary Ellen Hopkins treasure of books. A local printer drilled holes in a few soft cover books so I could store everything together in a large D-ring folder. This was done to help me and prevent loss through loaners which aren't returned.

I am down to one quilt magazine subscription annually and using the local library to scan other magazines. If I do splurge on a magazine, it absolutely must have three unique ideas I "intend" to use.

Nammie to 7 08-14-2013 12:36 PM

I will get books on my kindle for reading, but I want an actual magazine or book for quilting. I really like books that are technique based. Those I will read like a novel. I want to be able to look at the pattern and the directions when I'm sewing - I can write notes in them also. I like to watch tutorials on the computer but I really want to print them out as I don't want to have my computer on when I'm sewing. Some are just old school, and some are just new school. I guess I'm old/new school!

gale 08-14-2013 12:53 PM

I love books and magazines. I buy way too many but even so I have cut way back. Even if I never make anything from them, I enjoy curling up on the couch (under a quilt if it's cold) and reading them like a book.

NUBQ 08-14-2013 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 6234158)
there is something very special about sitting down with a wonderful book- I never feel guilty about purchasing a new book and have (5) 7-foot book shelves plus a hall closet and sewing room closet shelf to prove it. :) you never know when you will go back through a book you purchased 10 years ago and find the perfect quilt for that moment! I often pull a stack of books off the shelf and just sit looking through them in the evening-when I need some ideas/inspiration for a new project- or when I want to use a particular technique I haven't done in a while & need to refresh my memory- or I need some measurements...what ever... I have my kindle for books I want to sit & read- but quilting/craft books I will always purchase as books- I love my books! my shelves would be awfully empty without them. :)

WOW! is all I can say..what visual!

Gay 08-14-2013 03:13 PM

I used to buy soft cover quilting also machine embroidery magazines, and when my shelves were getting crowded, went through each book and cut out anything I wasn't really interested in. Some were left with 6-8 pages + lift-out patterns, and that made room for more books. About 2 yrs ago, the great ideas and designs seemed to peak, and wind down, so now I rarely buy any. Once or twice a year I'll pick up a 3in1 pack with some nice quilt pictured on the front - the embroidery mags don't have much appeal either. I find this forum gives me all I need, also Pinterest has lots of great images, and can lead back to an on-line shop. What more could a girl ask for?

QuiltMom2 08-14-2013 03:22 PM

I love my quilt books: I've told my daughter (who has no interest in actually quilting, alas!) to donate to my local library. I only wish I had had some available to borrow when the money was tight.

Jackie Spencer 08-14-2013 03:23 PM

Oh My I love my collection too. I still have the very first quilting book I bought back in 1976. American Quilts and how to make them. I also have that applique book The Little Brown Wren, which I understand sells for quite a bit more now. A couple of times I have gotten so upset with my self! I'll buy this wonderful book, only to discover when I get home that I already have it.

iwillquilt 08-14-2013 03:56 PM

I love this board. You are all so much like me. Or I am like you. I love my books and my magazines. And I will never get around to making all the ones I love so much. But I will have many years, hours, minutes...relaxing and dreaming. I use to read romance novels. Now it is quilting patterns. :)

LadyElisabeth 08-14-2013 06:47 PM

Too many? No, never. They are such an inspiration.

DOTTYMO 08-15-2013 12:16 AM

I love books in any format. My kindle has a large selection of quilting books, iBooks, ebooks and magazines. They take up less room. Why. I have 3 large bookcases full plus books in different places. I have more than our local library .
I read very quickly love new projects and have a one click on amazon. Have a new book to me nearly every week.