Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying Too Many Quilt Books? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-too-many-quilt-books-t227946.html)

chairjogger 08-15-2013 01:02 AM

buying too many quilt books ? Yes ! 1/2 price book store ! !

Each one I see something..then shelf it..but will not give them up. Lol

ArtsyOne 08-15-2013 02:11 AM

I love my books! At this point I have so many that I can't justify spending money on more, BUT - I just got a wonderful hardcover book on strip-piecing at a garage sale for $1. And last weekend I found two quilting books at the thrift store for $2 each. I keep them on my shelves in alphabetical order, so that when I get home and find that I have three copies of one book it's always a surprise.

sandy l 08-15-2013 03:16 AM

There's no way I'll ever make all the quilts I've "flagged" from my books, but that hasn't stopped me from buying more books. Now I need to figure out where I can put another bookcase:)

SuzzyQ 08-15-2013 03:19 AM

Locally on Kijiji, there is a lady trying to sell her MIL's quilt book collection - two large totes full. I had a look & bought two for $15 because I felt bad for her having to load the totes into her van and driving to meet me half-way so I could have a look. I would bet that the lady bought them and then never opened them (one of those subscription deals - about $30 a book). She's sold most of the fabric before I noticed the ads for the books.

carolynjo 08-15-2013 03:43 AM

When you decide to get rid of a few, consider reselling them to Amazon or another source so that others may enjoy them. In the meantime, enjoy every one of them for yourself, over and over again; it doesn't get any better than that!

Dakota Rose 08-15-2013 04:45 AM

Glad to know I am not the only one who ends up with duplicate copies of books. It also happens to me with patterns. I chalk it up to old age but don't know for sure -- maybe hoarding or over enthusiasm.

Gabrielle's Mimi 08-15-2013 05:00 AM

Oh, I am SOOO glad I am not the only one! I, like others here, read novels on Kindle or iPad. But the quilt books have to be REAL books! I love to get into bed at night and pore over new ideas and patterns, anticipating all the quilts I might make someday. If it is a quilt I am about to begin, I read and reread carefully, highlighting the cutting instructions. Because I teach at my LQS, I alway make notes in my books so I can share tips with others.

Now here is my question: I flag all those great ones I want to make, but later I will think, I know I have a good pattern flagged that I could use for this fabric, but which book is it in? Does anyone have a cataloging system for future quilts?

quiltin-nannie 08-15-2013 05:20 AM

[QUOTE=Dakota Rose;6235309]Glad to know I am not the only one who ends up with duplicate copies of books. It also happens to me with patterns. I chalk it up to old age but don't know for sure -- maybe hoarding or over enthusiasm.[/QUOTE

Oh good, I'm not the only one who does this! LOL! Love my books!

nanac 08-15-2013 05:29 AM

I agree with ckcowl - I have my kindle for reading, but I want "real" pages when I am looking at quilt patterns. I only have about 150-ish books, but they are all quilt patterns, or quilt blocks. Do I feel guilty? Not in the slightest. When I pass on, I have given my kids strict instructions that they have to divide the estate into 2 sales - the first one is only for quilters, and the second can be for the general public. All my books, patterns, tools and materials will go to a good home, and the rest can go wherever it lands. :)

homeec96 08-15-2013 05:39 AM

I have quite a collection of sewing and quilting books. I made an alphabetical list on my computer so I don't repeat purchases. I have close to 500 books on ,my list, so don't feel bad about your collection. It is a luxury to sit and reread these books as I look for patterns or ideas.