Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Buying Too Many Quilt Books? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/buying-too-many-quilt-books-t227946.html)

kay carlson 08-15-2013 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by homeec96 (Post 6235416)
I have quite a collection of sewing and quilting books. I made an alphabetical list on my computer so I don't repeat purchases. I have close to 500 books on ,my list, so don't feel bad about your collection. It is a luxury to sit and reread these books as I look for patterns or ideas.

Homeec96, I am over-thinking your alphabetical list this morning. Perhaps I need more coffee! Years ago I started a spreadsheet and ended up making it so detailed that I didn't keep it up. :-( Do you alphabetically list only by name of author, title, or both? Thanks....:-(

cpcarolyn 08-15-2013 06:14 AM

I love real books too. But it sure is nice to have a book handy to use as a referance when needed.

DebbE 08-15-2013 06:21 AM

I also LOVE my books and magazines. I don't save every magazine, some I toss because I didn't enjoy them as much. But I keep an index card box with sections: children, babies, men, flowers, applique, etc., so if I need a pattern quickly, I can find it. I regularly loan out some to other quilters to use, as well. I don't buy regular books as much, except for specific authors I've collected for years, and read over and over. I work at a place where we sell used books as a fund raiser for a charity & have patients waiting to be seen who can browse, so I have lots of books to shop from ($1 each) and donate back when I'm done. I don't feel guilty at all!

jeanharville 08-15-2013 06:39 AM

I used to buy quilting books, but they are so expensive and I can buy a Craftsy class for that price or cheaper when they run a sale. So now that's what I'm spending money on. When I go to Amazon to buy a quilting book, I'm shocked at the prices.

misseva 08-15-2013 06:49 AM

I love Bonnie Hunter's books. I have gotten some really good quilting books at Alibris.com which is a used/antique book site. Some books go for $1.

Wanabee Quiltin 08-15-2013 06:56 AM

I probably have over 200 books by now, just picked up 2 at the thrift store yesterday. I have some I know I will get rid of but I have already looked at them and loved every minute of it. I have learned so much from reading them. I was subscribing to the various quilt magazines but have decided I am very tired of their pushing the fabric from the various companies. When you read old quilt magazines or books, they don't tell what fabric you need to make it with. I am very lucky in that I have intuition about color and my quilts turn out great. I will always be buying books, Amazon, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, 1/2 Books, just love them.

quilter68 08-15-2013 07:09 AM

to add correct ageWell, start me up and count me in on this hobby. I don't know how many that I have but I am not done yet. My daughter found a box of quilt mags at a thrift store and bought them for me for Christmas. She mailed them to me in four boxes. They are beautiful and from the late 50's and 60's.
I also collect the state quilt documentation books. I have about 50 of these but not all of the states. Some states have books on different areas of their states.
And,yes, i want them to be donated to my local library; whenever!

I am now 72 but can't figure how to add to my signature.

jcrow 08-15-2013 07:17 AM

I love the feel of a real book. Be it a quilt book or a novel. I've been using my iPad's Kindle for novels lately and miss the feel of a book, but I've been buying quilt books, often from Amazon with one click, so I do get the feel of a real book. I cannot pass up a good quilt book that someone mentions. I don't have nearly the collection of most of you. I have a larger collection of magazines as I don't get rid of any of my quilting magazines and have resorted to buying fabric boxes to store some of the mags in. I just can't bring myself to get rid of anything quilt related. But I am starting a nice quilt book collection. I have two rows of a wide bookcase full of new books and two rows of older books. That's a lot to me, but probably little to most of you. I like the idea of categorizing them. So far, I haven't bought duplicates. I have lost one though.

pollyjvan9 08-15-2013 07:20 AM

I love my books and magazines. I have found that as my abilities have improved I am drawn to different quilts. There is nothing more relaxing than sitting down with a stack of books and a glass of ice tea at about 2:00 in the afternoon. Retirement is wonderful, also.

BettyGee 08-15-2013 08:12 AM

You are not alone in your love for quilting books. I have way too many and I treasure each and every one of them. I'm a member of Martingale's Insider Book Club and I can only remember two times of not taking the monthly selection. My husband says the house has settled a good two inches into the ground because of the weight of my quilting books. I won't be able to make them all, but oh what delight in just looking at the patterns and imagining all the great things I can do with my wonderful fabric. Enjoy them, life is too short to worry about having too many quilt books.