Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dirty Little Secrets........... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dirty-little-secrets-t152575.html)

Carol Wilson 09-14-2011 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I was telling my DD about using a glue stick when doing bindings and she just looked at me with the "deer in the headlights" eyes. Had to tell her that I do whatever it takes to make things happen easier and faster. We both laughed and now she knows on of my secrets. I am hoping to be able to pass on many of my secrets about quilting soon. She has just decided that she wants to learn and I am thrilled.

What do you do with the glue stick, I need to know?

deedum 09-14-2011 07:02 PM

quote]
I JUST LOVE THIS BOARD ALSO MY 25YR OLD DAUGHTER SAIDS MOM YOU ARE HOOK ON THAT THING.I SAY WELL I COULD BE HOOKED ON WORSE THINGS.LOL[/quote]

Isn't that the truth! I am hooked too :)

Momsmurf 09-14-2011 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
"SECRETS" Quilters have "SECRETS"?

Sure we do!!!!! Ane when I whisper one to you, you do realize that I'm only telling you! LOL!

dublb 09-14-2011 08:00 PM

I love all the dirty little secrets here!!!! I'll tell you how I use the glue. I use it all the time!!! Before I sew any thing I use washable school glue sticks. I rub it in the seam allowance then put the fabric right sides together & iron. After I sew it I pull it apart where I didn't stay in the same allowance then press.;) After I machine quilt it I wash it & all the glue washes away! I do have a quilt top that I'm thinking about hand quilting. I know that it will be hard to hand quilt through all that glue so I think that I'll zig-zag the edges & wash it so I can hand quilt it.

lue 09-14-2011 10:19 PM

I've got one! I didn't know that you should clean the lint out of your machine every time you change the bobbin. Someone at my quilt guild just casually said that this week!

quiltlady 09-14-2011 10:32 PM

I think that the most important "secret" that ever came out is the rotary cutter, ruler and mat. I often will show someone a quilt I've done or working on and they'll say wow all those little pieces . Sometimes that might be true but usually it was something that was cut in mulitple layers at the same time. Sewn together, re-cut, turned or flipped and resewn. Rarely do I admit that I can do in just a couple hours what it took quilters 50 yrs ago days if not longer to do. Just let them be in wonder.

carolaug 09-15-2011 12:27 AM

You can use glue sticks instead of using pins on your seams I do that sometimes....but what I like best about the glue stick is using it on the binding just be sure to iron it to help it hold. Then I sew on the binding by machine or hand. I do prefer by machine.

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I was telling my DD about using a glue stick when doing bindings and she just looked at me with the "deer in the headlights" eyes. Had to tell her that I do whatever it takes to make things happen easier and faster. We both laughed and now she knows on of my secrets. I am hoping to be able to pass on many of my secrets about quilting soon. She has just decided that she wants to learn and I am thrilled.

What do you do with the glue stick, I need to know?

sandy l 09-15-2011 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
I know what you mean. I took an applique class recently and one of the things on our list of supplies was a glue stick. I am brand new to quilting and couldn't imagine WHAT we needed a glue stick for. They didn't ask up to bring paper that I imagined we would need to possible glue patterns together....LOL....Low and behold, I was floored when I found out we were glueing the stems to our fabric before stitching to keep them in place....so cool! ! ! I would have never imagined doing that......and it worked!

Also it works well for seaming two pieces together

Originally Posted by mtspools
I love the elmers washaway school glue,use it all the time for them mug rug bindings. Just put little dabs along edge fold binding over and iron dry. Sew it down and and wash works wonders when holding binding in place.

:!: :thumbup:

Marvel 09-15-2011 09:34 AM

Pattie no matter how long one has been quilting there is always an oppertunity to learn new tech, and find great patterns. There is a world of good help out there. I especially enjoy how one can find help on any problem. So good to have you learning along with the rest of us. Marvel

Honeynga 09-15-2011 09:53 AM

I started "lurking"because I thought I would be way in over my head....and i may be and just not know it ! I've learned so much from the folks on QB....probably most important is that there isn't Quilt Police looking in my window ! Too, I learned that a lot of these folks are a lot like me, just have learned to love quilting and learning more every day.

I've some questions that I was too embarrassed to ask and lo and behold someone steps up and asks before I get my courage, OR, there is a question asked and answered that I didn't even know to ask !

Thanks again to all you folks on QB!