Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do the fabrics ever talk to you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-fabrics-ever-talk-you-t35966.html)

QuiltingGrannie 02-04-2010 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by DazzleMe!
Fabric talks to me also! Didn't want to say anything. Didn't want people to think I was nuts!
But more than anything the quilt talks to me as I am piecing it. Sometimes I have a quilt I am making for someone in mind but another person pops in my head that the quilt should go to.
If I go with the flow things go really smooth. If not I end up taking apart blocks like crazy.
I have a quilt now that I don't know where it should go. It has no home as of yet! I guess it wants to stay with me! :D :lol: :lol:

Good luck keeping it. I did a wall hanging for ME! Sold it before it was done!

maryb119 02-04-2010 05:27 PM

Yes, fabric talks to me, too. Sometimes, it screams really loud! I have had quilt tops talk to me as well. They tell me to get a certain fabric out of there or how they need to be quilted. I am so glad that I am not alone.

JanetM 02-04-2010 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
To continue my threads demonstrating my insanity (see "do you see faces in fabric?"), I was wondering if the fabric or finished projects ever tell you where they want to go?

I was working on a tablerunner UFO. I started it a few years ago, and was finishing it for my Feb UFO. I had no idea who it would be for and then out of the blue, I knew it was going to my boss at work and his wife. Well, specifically, I thought of his wife. And to me it feels like the tablerunner was saying that's where it wanted to go. I've had that happen with a few quilts where I've liked the pattern and fabric, been working on them with no recipient in mind, and then -bam- I know where it's going, and it turns out it's their favorite color palette. So does that happen to any of you? Or am I really just that crazy?

No crazier than the rest of us :) Fabrics talk to me all the time.

Pickles 02-04-2010 05:46 PM

I also hear them speak , and I have made Quilts a many a time for one person and then to have it go to a person I had no ideal
when starting it that it would end up with, so yes I think they choose who they go to .

renee765 02-04-2010 06:46 PM

You betcha. Once I was going to buy fabric for a quilt class. We didn't know what the quilt was going to look like, only that we needed to bring a light, a medium and a dark fabric. My plan the whole time was to bring a deep blue, medium green and lighter purple (my favorite colors). When I was at the store, for some reason, a bright yellow kept saying 'make me the light one', so I did. Turns out my deep blue, medium green and light yellow were the same colors the instructor had used in her demo quilt! And I loved the way mine turned out.

littlehud 02-04-2010 09:04 PM

If it's large floral or Thimbleberries fabric I can hear it calling me. I took my DGD to the fabric store with me. Next thing I knew I was hearing "Grandma, grandma, come here." She was standing by a beautiful bolt of red floral fabric. She said "Grandma this fabric says it wants to come home with you." See, even she can hear it. Of course I took it home. While we were there some called to her too. It went home with us too.

LucyInTheSky 02-05-2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
If it's large floral or Thimbleberries fabric I can hear it calling me. I took my DGD to the fabric store with me. Next thing I knew I was hearing "Grandma, grandma, come here." She was standing by a beautiful bolt of red floral fabric. She said "Grandma this fabric says it wants to come home with you." See, even she can hear it. Of course I took it home. While we were there some called to her too. It went home with us too.

Awww, that is so cute. Start them early liking fabric! :D

Boston1954 02-05-2010 08:39 AM

Yes, but some are louder than others. When I am getting ready to chose something for a new project, some do not say anything at all, and go back in the box. Others will say "I had better be the focal point, or else!"

Lostn51 02-05-2010 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
To continue my threads demonstrating my insanity (see "do you see faces in fabric?"), I was wondering if the fabric or finished projects ever tell you where they want to go?

Only when I am taking some serious meds for my back do they talk to me, and sometimes they even hurt my feelings.........:cry: :lol: :roll:

Sorry couldnt resist! :lol: :lol:

I usually make up my mind I am going to make a quilt for so and so and then start looking at patterns to see what fits the recipient.

Billy

knlsmith 02-06-2010 01:08 AM

all the time just ask my hubby. it says:

BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME

SEW ME BUY ME BUY ME! :-P