Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers,family? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-any-old-quilts-your-grandmothers-family-t47263.html)

RugosaB 05-31-2010 12:27 PM

I just remembered, forgotten because because it's packed away in a drawer, when my husband's grandma died, she left a box of pre-cut hexagons for a Grandmother's Flower Garden. She didn't cut them she bought them that way. Somewhere along the 30 years of marriage I did sew them together, by hand, then put them away. I think it's time to get them out again

Ragann63 06-01-2010 07:43 PM

We each have at least one from my great grandmother and lots from my grandmother. We are now starting on my mom's, mine and my daughter's! How terrific is that? I can remember cutting out pieces for my great grandmother - cardboard pattern, trace and cut. I wonder what she would have thought of all the quilting gadgets we have now!

zz-pd 06-03-2010 03:23 PM

no one in my family quilted. God bless. Penny

cjaye44 06-08-2010 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
What beautiful quilts and great stories. Sadly neither my mother nor my grandmother quilted or sewed. My mother did teach me how to embroider when I was about 8 and my grandmother crocheted doilies. She tried to teach me and I just never got it as a teenager. I finally learned in my late twenties and made a doily to show her but she died before I could give it to her for Christmas.
I do have some album blocks that were in a box of scraps my step great grandmother gave me but I don't know if she is the one who did these or not. I did put them together in my one quilting class years ago and tied it. I sometimes wonder if I should take it apart and do it right. The sashings don't match up.
I just love the old fabrics. Since Nana sewed I am guessing she was the one who did the blocks.

Dama, I see a lot of fabrics in your quilt that I have in my vintage stash. Mine came from a farm auction in Nebraska. They were in an old musty trunk that the auctioneer could not even get a bid on. But I had opened the trunk earlier and saw what was in it. I got the trunk full for a dollar and have made 7 quilts from it. A lot of the 36" wide yardage and even feed sacks. Needless to say, I was thrilled!!

craftybear 08-28-2010 10:03 AM

I got some old quilts from quilting guild a few months ago, a lady brought them to the guild and told us anyone could have what that wanted, free

lots of old fabrics and small quilts but cool to have, she said if no one was going to take them was going in the trash, so she gave me a big box full, free

Matilda 08-28-2010 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Do you have any old quilts from your grandmothers or other family?

I have one. It is Lemoyne Stars made with the old fashioned (of course) fabrics. They were made by my Dad's Mother and my Aunt had the stars put on muslin and quilted by someone in Detroit. I will put up a picture later.

stitchingmemories 08-28-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I just remembered that I have a quilt that my MIL made. It was made in 1974 out of polyester scraps from some of my old clothes. It is a hexagon pattern and boy is it heavy! It is a great winter quilt. I will try to post a picture.

Yes, my Mom made a quilt out of some of our old dresses (that she had also made). The entire top is polyester and thickly quilted. It is very heavy but also very warm. Looking at that quilt takes me back to the days when I wished I could wear more "store bought" dresses like my friends. :wink:

I wish I knew where my grandmothers quilts ended up. When I was a young child I remember being put to bed at my grandparents house on a feather mattress and my grandmother would pile so many quilts on top of me I would't move all night. Best sleep ever. :-D Good times! Precious memories!

EdieClay 08-28-2010 11:30 AM

Yes, I am fortunate to own three quilts my DMIL made, three quilts my DGM made, and three quilts my DGGM made, and a crazy quilt made with silks and velvets made by my DGGM when she was a girl. These quilts are why I started quilting. I loved them and always thought I would love to learn to quilt. When I retired after 34 years, I began quilting lessons at a wonderful quilt shop in Crossville, TN, Little Blessings.

dawson.tracy35 08-28-2010 12:24 PM

I have a quilt that I inherited from my mother when she passed last year. It was made by her mother and her friends during a quilting bee and has the dates and names of everyone that participated hand embroidered on it. the dates are the in the 30's. I would show pics but I have it sealed up to keep it from being damaged any further. It has a few spots where the fabric has torn from the background fabric. I plan on having it restored but havent had the money. It is beautiful though and a great piece of history.