Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you iron your quilt tops before.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-iron-your-quilt-tops-before-t75895.html)

Denise85 11-13-2010 04:14 PM

I always do

sylvia77 11-13-2010 04:19 PM

I iron my backing, and press the front as I'm sewing, so I guess I do!

patchy-at-best 11-13-2010 04:27 PM

for non QAYG..i finger press seams while constructing a block, then iron the block when complete, check its squared up at this stage..i join my blocks into rows and press the completed row..then join the rows, pressing again, then press the whole top, this time using steam..

for QAYG blocks and quilts, pressing is the key to getting a superb finish, 'press-as-you-go' is a must, don't cut corners and the resulting quilt will shine!! :-)

madamekelly 11-13-2010 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by chattykathy17
I press every step of the way. Each seam, each block when done, each time I put blocks together to a row, etc. It just gives it a crisp look. The last two tops I took to the quilter, she loved it.

Me too! Is it just basic 'fussiness' or OCD? LOL! My LAQ showed me the wisdom in this kind of "fussbugetness". It makes the hardest part of quiltmaking WAAAAAAAAY easier! If you hand quilt, LAQ, machine quilt, or even tie, it makes the whole process work with you, instead of against you. Everything lines up for me. Funny thing is, I end up with a 'humility' block in every one without trying. I use spray sizing also. ( I do not hand quilt. :oops: )

AliKat 11-13-2010 04:57 PM

Since I use my HandiQuilter for quilting ... I always iron my tops. That way the seam thickness is controlled as I want it to be and the machine quilts better.

ali

kflan 11-13-2010 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker

Originally Posted by chattykathy17
I press every step of the way. Each seam, each block when done, each time I put blocks together to a row, etc. It just gives it a crisp look. The last two tops I took to the quilter, she loved it.

Yes, I do this also....makes it so much easier to check for those stray threads and flatten the seams correctly which makes it so much easier to quilt your sandwich correctly.

Glad to know I am not alone. Some of the gals in a quilt group I attend think I am nuts. So be it. I like to press as I go, every step along the way. My quilter is happy about my ironing fetish, too.

drgranny 11-13-2010 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter

Originally Posted by gail-r
I press each step and starch before cutting fabric and starch the top after it is together and also starch the backing. Makes the quilt go together nicely and reduces the chance of wrinkles during quilting.

I do this too, but all my quilt sandwiches are made and finished on the longarm. If you don't want wrinkles or pleats on your quilt, you have to press the top and backing before loading them on the longarm. However, my DH bought me a steamer, so the next quilt will get steamed before I load it and I'll see if I like that. I do like the way the starch gives so much body to the quilt, so I need to figure out how to do the starch and steam thing.

Let us know how good the steamer works.

penski 11-13-2010 05:10 PM

yes i try and iron it the best i can before sandwiching it

All Thumbs 11-13-2010 05:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The iron is my best friend and sits next to my machines. In fact, a few years ago I impressed upon my 6 year old granddaughter that pressing those seams made everything go better. She discovered the steam release button and now says she likes pressing better than actual piecing. Check out that cloud of steam! lol

Diane819 11-13-2010 05:41 PM

I press as I go and then starch the quilt top. As I press I watch for "problem" spots or threads that need to be trimmed before quilting. I also press the back side of the top. I do this in hopes it looks that much better when I get it back from my quilter. After all I wouldn't want my quilter to see a messy quilt--what would she think LOL.