Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you iron your quilt tops before.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-iron-your-quilt-tops-before-t75895.html)

Stitch Lover 11-13-2010 08:53 AM

I iron the strips as I finish them since I found I can match the seams easier as I sew them together. By pressing the quilt just looks better to me. My daughter never used her iron until she began sewing so maybe I have passed on something to her

Loisrhunter 11-13-2010 09:19 AM

I iron everything...find it improves my odds of having everything look good. Also have room for ironing board.

Tilladare 11-13-2010 09:25 AM

I iron every step of the way. My trouble comes when it's time to take top and backing to the LAQ. It seems no matter how careful I try to be, they both wrinkle horribly when I fold them to transport. Think it would be silly to deliver them on hangers?

bearisgray 11-13-2010 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Tilladare
I iron every step of the way. My trouble comes when it's time to take top and backing to the LAQ. It seems no matter how careful I try to be, they both wrinkle horribly when I fold them to transport. Think it would be silly to deliver them on hangers?

If you are hand delivering them, you could roll them and then there would only be a few wrinkles.

pastormarilyn 11-13-2010 10:16 AM

Yes, also use spray starch. It works wonder.

pastormarilyn 11-13-2010 10:18 AM

Yes, also try using spray starch, it works wonders.

Lostn51 11-13-2010 10:26 AM

I always press mine throughout the entire process and the backing too. That way there is less of a chance at puckers and wrinkles.

Billy

laralea 11-13-2010 11:04 AM

I'm from the press as you go school of dressmaking so it is a deeply ingrained habit to press, press, press. It would be too much stress for me to worry about my blocks being nice and flat throughout the entire process.

gramquilter2 11-13-2010 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by chattykathy17
I press every step of the way. Each seam, each block when done, each time I put blocks together to a row, etc. It just gives it a crisp look. The last two tops I took to the quilter, she loved it.

Ditto--I press every step and I square everything up each step-when I take my quilt top to the quilter it is ready to go and they never have trouble putting it on the long arm. I also square it up again when I get it back, do not press at this point.

Dianne Lenore 11-13-2010 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I use Best Press and press each piece as I sew and then the whole top before quitling. I like the crispy look and clean. To each his own. Just like I do not prewash and have never had trouble and use shout color grabber and it comes out ok too. I took Grannyp70 a half gallon of Best Press today and she is hooked. Of course we are working on the Farmers wife blocks and they are small so really helps.

What is "Best Press"? And, where do you buy it?