Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you iron your quilt tops before.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-iron-your-quilt-tops-before-t75895.html)

sherriequilts 11-13-2010 06:41 AM

I press too, as I go and when the top is completed. Good thing as I discovered two pieces of white on white had been put in wrong side out. Had to pick them out and turn them over. They weren't real noticeable if the quilt was hanging on the porch and you were driving by 30 mph, but I COULD SEE THEM!
Usually I fingernail press seams, then iron the blocks, but right now I am doing a flannel log cabin and am steam ironing each seam as I go. I did a another log cabin (my first) and even starched it as I went. It came out awesome.

Scakes 11-13-2010 06:44 AM

I usually iron blocks as I put them together; then iron the sections after they are together. When I get ready to layer, I will iron if the top has gotten wrinkled; otherwise I just pin and quilt. I usually iron the backing first also.

janb 11-13-2010 06:45 AM

I press - I like the crisp look and feel - also use spray starch. It helps hold the seams and makes for a much nicer top.

Susie Quilter 11-13-2010 07:01 AM

Yes, I press my tops before they are sandwiched together. I press everything......well......except for clothing......everything that has to do with quilting. Each seam is set, then pressed every step of the way. The time that it takes to press is all worth it in the end.

joyceinoh 11-13-2010 07:06 AM

I iron as much as I sew. Learned that in home Ec class in school. I iron before I cut out my pieces and right after I sew a seam. My iron is right next to sewing mach, just spin around on my chair and I am right there.
I have never used the starch, may try that.
Everything fits together better if I iron

Donna Mae 11-13-2010 07:16 AM

Alex Anderson taught me to press, press, press and thats what I do. If there's something that isn't right it will jump right out at you and can be corrected right away.

simple quilter

Rettie V. Grama 11-13-2010 07:38 AM

I iron block by block by block and seam by seam as it is put together. Works for me. No tugging and pulling that big quilt all over the tabletop to get a smooth surface.

Rettie V. Grama 11-13-2010 07:46 AM

Thought I was the only one that used starch for quilting. I don't use starch I use spray sizing. I also use spray sizing when pressing the bias tape to be sewn by hand. Makes it easier to control and I use Elmer's Spray on Glue for applique. I learned to use that the hard way. After using it on an applique design, found glue all over my fingers. Will only wash off with vinegar. I got educated real fast. I now lay the piece to be appliqued on another piece of fabric, preferable something that I would never use, wrong side up and spray until my applique is saturated. Pick up with 2 tweezers, put where it belongs to applique and again use the tweezers to move it around so there are no wrinkles, etc. If there is a wrinkle, just pick up one side and smooth the wringle out with the dull side of a kitchen knife and your done. Leave overnight to dry and the next day applique away. Love that stuff.

SandraD 11-13-2010 07:51 AM

I iron before a piece and then again and again as I go. Then when I'm ready to baste I iron the back, the batting (I use warm and natural) and the top. It make the quilt lie nice and flat and you can see any potential problems. I do like to iron though (I may be the only one - LOL).

BeckiQuilts 11-13-2010 08:22 AM

I really learned the hard way about that ironing. While hand quilting on my daughter's Christmas quilt, queen size, I came across a 20 inch area of the beacking that had unraveled! Has taken me weeks to repair (I'm slow) and has put me behind in my Christmas quilting. I might add, I had already quilted around this boo boo, that was a mistake too! Quilt and learn.