Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you iron your quilt tops before.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-iron-your-quilt-tops-before-t75895.html)

sewingladydi 11-12-2010 05:02 PM

Yep, I'm a presser too.

QuiltQtrs 11-12-2010 05:14 PM

Agree with ChattyKathy: I press at every step, and square up each block
before adding any sashings/cornerstones/setting in rows, and adding borders.
Saves so much frustration later.

Lynnie25 11-12-2010 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker

Originally Posted by chattykathy17
I press every step of the way. Each seam, each block when done, each time I put blocks together to a row, etc. It just gives it a crisp look. The last two tops I took to the quilter, she loved it.

Yes, I do this also....makes it so much easier to check for those stray threads and flatten the seams correctly which makes it so much easier to quilt your sandwich correctly.

ditto for me. I press at every step and always press my quilt tops before sandwiching.

Quilt Mama 11-12-2010 06:07 PM

I press at each and every step. I learned to have a neat top every seam had to be pressed before you sewed over top of it again. A good finger pressing will work but I prefer to use the actual iron. I simply wouldn't think of doing it any other way. I have worked on group quilts. I wasn't Speedy Gonzales because of my attention to measuring and pressing details but then my sections actually ended up the measure they were supposed to be. I also believe the attention to detail helps to keep a quilt square and minimizes lettuce edges.

Quilt Mama 11-12-2010 06:09 PM

I don't use an ironing board. I have a home manufactured iron table approx 27"x 54". The only place the iron board gets used is to catch the gravity pull when I machine quilt or piece large tops.

dunster 11-12-2010 07:18 PM

Most longarmers ask that the top be pressed, threads be trimmed, etc. before they get it for quilting. There is nothing magical about the longarm that makes the seams lie flat. However, if the back is wrinkled, I have found that I don't have to press it (except at the seams) because I can easily get the wrinkles out by spraying very lightly with water when it is stretched on the frame.

I press at every step during piecing, again when the blocks are put together, and a final press if necessary before quilting.

debbieumphress 11-12-2010 07:22 PM

I use Best Press and press each piece as I sew and then the whole top before quitling. I like the crispy look and clean. To each his own. Just like I do not prewash and have never had trouble and use shout color grabber and it comes out ok too. I took Grannyp70 a half gallon of Best Press today and she is hooked. Of course we are working on the Farmers wife blocks and they are small so really helps.

finch 11-13-2010 03:29 AM

I press before and after.

charmy 11-13-2010 03:39 AM

I press each step and starch before cutting fabric and starch the top after it is together and also starch the backing. Makes the quilt go together nicely and make quilting go so much smoother.I try to keep my seams pressed all the correct direction and that make my quilting go so much smoother to.

tkennemore 11-13-2010 03:43 AM

I would rather spend the extra few minutes ironing the quilt top and backing, rather than having to spend the time removing the stitches.