Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you iron your quilt tops before.. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-iron-your-quilt-tops-before-t75895.html)

QuiltingHiker 11-13-2010 03:55 AM

I am an over presser, press each and every seam.

uniquelynancy 11-13-2010 04:22 AM

Yes I always iron my quilt tops and I spray starch them too to keep seams from fraying. My machine quilter said she loves that I take the time and that I'm careful to press the seams.

janmwalker 11-13-2010 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I do. I like to improve the odds of having the seams lay as "attractively" as possible.

It's also a chance to see if there are any last minute glitches that might need to be touched up or changed.

(Doesn't guarantee that I'll catch them all, but there is something about pressing that sometimes shows up wonkiness)

I usually press the top while it is still in sections - it is a bit easier to handle it that way.

I also press the backing if there are any seams in it.

I also wash all my fabrics before cutting them.

Golly too, I do the same! When I have taken quilts to be professionally quilted the lady comments that she has to press so many quilts before she can even start doing the machine quilting.

grann of 6 11-13-2010 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by azdesertrat

Originally Posted by tuesy
Yes I do iron them. I'm an over achiver when it comes to ironing. I iron when doing the blocks, then iron it all when it's together.

me too

Me three. Some fabrics I also starch, especially flannels.

#1piecemaker 11-13-2010 05:24 AM

Nope. I don't iron. I find I make crases where there souldn't be any so I just stretch them out.

jdavis 11-13-2010 05:27 AM

I always iron the heck out of my tops before I sandwich them.

steelecg 11-13-2010 05:34 AM

It depends - I press as I go more often than not

jad1044 11-13-2010 05:56 AM

I press as i go, and before sending it off to the quilter I make sure everything is perfect; she loves to quilt it when it lays flat when she puts the trio together for quilting.

Since I'm a new quilter, she is amazed I bring it to her in such fine shape. She says many of the old quilters just bring her a couple tops that are rolled up, wrinkled and she refuses to do their cleanup work for them, so there is threads at times, and of course if she sees them, she does remove them, but she makes no big attempt to remove what they could remove. Also, it lays so much nicer when she wants to go to quilting it - and I've been so pleased with the outcome of the quilt(s) when done.

moreland 11-13-2010 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by tuesy
Yes I do iron them. I'm an over achiver when it comes to ironing. I iron when doing the blocks, then iron it all when it's together.

So do I. My ironing board is right by my machine so it is very convenient to iron.

fayefromfla 11-13-2010 06:21 AM

yes, I press as I quilt..Everything gets a good press. I seem to have better results.