Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you keep a pictorial record of your work? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-keep-pictorial-record-your-work-t50119.html)

lab fairy 06-17-2010 08:12 PM

I'm keeping a record. Right now I go back and look at those first few blocks that I donated to a group for children's quilts a few months ago and realize, wow, I made some bad choices for a first time quilter. Who'd have guessed squares and triangles can be so hard?

I use the pictures as a learning experience as well as a record of work. I don't want to forget some of those lessons.

spinnergs 06-17-2010 08:43 PM

I started a "Work list" about ten years ago and kept a record of my projects and some notes about events in it. It is on the computer but I download to CD updates every once in awhile. I also try to keep a pictures of my quilts and quilted projects since I also give most of my work away.

amma 06-17-2010 10:17 PM

I forget to take pictures before I send things off :roll: so I am trying harder to remember LOL
It is nice to be able to look back on all that you make over the years :D:D:D

Borntohandquilt 06-17-2010 10:51 PM

I take several digital pictures of each finished quilt and keep them on the computer. Some of them I need to apply for a quilt show, most of them I put on my private homepage. And of course I want to show them here!

1quilt_gma 06-17-2010 11:02 PM

I keep a project list of ideas, actual projects, progress dates, and finished dates.

I also take pictures and put them on Picasa..if my computer crashes, at least they are still there. I have missed a few at the beginning, but have most of them. I have started a blog and have them on that also.

I also started putting pictures of quilts in frames and hang them on the wall in my sewing area...right now I am a little behind in that.

harvsstuff 06-18-2010 01:53 AM

Yes I have photo albums of the things I have made over the years. I enjoy going through them every so often . I date the photos also. Denise

raptureready 06-18-2010 02:48 AM

I didn't used to but now I do--of paintings, quilts, and other things that I do. A quilt usually takes several months of collecting fabrics, planning, cutting, sewing, quilting, etc.,---like it took for my DD to get here---so I take pictures of everything I give birth to. LOL

mms61371 06-18-2010 03:48 AM

I take pictures of each one. I keep a journal with all the info (name, person receiving it, date finished, pattern used, machine quilting used, and yardage of each fabric). I, also, keep a 2 inch piece of each fabric in the quilt. I usually glue them on a piece of manilla folder. I know a bit excessive, but when I first started quilting someone (I can't remember who) told me to keep a record. This is how she said to do it. I keep everything in a 3 ring binder in sheet protectors. It is a very good reference when needed.

And for the baby quilts I do, I always print a picture and some info on it kinda like a postcard. The parents put it in their baby book or scrapbook.

JJs 06-18-2010 04:04 AM

I have pictures of EVERY quilt I've made except two - that's 93 pictures (not a wall hanging in the group!)
The first one was a polaroid picture around 1973 - a very simple quilt all done by hand - you know the saying, "you've come a long way, baby" LOL

shaverg 06-18-2010 05:30 AM

I do take a couple of photos of each quilt and keep any notes I made while making it.