Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you quilt on Sunday? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-quilt-sunday-t115071.html)

bamamama 04-11-2011 03:50 AM

Depends on what else we have going on. If my DH is busy doing his own thing I do, I just started doing charity quilts so seems like a good day to dedicate to those. As soon as summer is officially here, I probably won't be do much quilting on the weekends. We'll hopefully be scuba diving or if not doing yard work or something outide.

Gerbie 04-11-2011 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Susie Quilter
Please let me know if everyone quilts on Sunday, or is that a day that you you take off from quilting. The reason that I ask is because my Mother-in-law always told me that I shouldn't sew or quilt on Sunday.

No I don't. My Mother would never sew or crochet on Sunday, and wouldn't let me when I was young, so I just seldom ever do. I have a few times, but about 99% of the time I don't. I do watch my quilting shows on PBS, after I get home from Church. I was just raised that you don't do anything that isn't a real necessity on Sunday. I guess I just go with how I was raised.

Gerbie 04-11-2011 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
My Grandma said, "every stitch you sew on Sunday you will take out with your nose in heaven". At least I'll have something to do when I get to heaven:)

My Mother always said every stitch you sew on Sunday, you rip out on Monday. Your grandmother and my Mother must have been raised the same way.

chaskaquilter 04-11-2011 04:00 AM

Yes, I quilt on Sunday and thank the Lord that he gave me something I love to do. I don't feel as lonely when I am working on a quilt, I feel that i still have some value and can still accomplish something. Boy, getting old is not for the faint of heart, is it.

Smithly 04-11-2011 04:05 AM

I do especially during the winter months .... find it relaxing ....

Gerbie 04-11-2011 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by tjradj
Back in the day, sewing, knitting, etc was part of life in order to keep your family clothed. No chain store specials back then. So yes, this was looked at as "work". The stricter Christian churches frowned on working on Sundays, or making anyone else work. So, that's where the "don't sew (or knit, or ride bikes, or play cards, etc.....) on Sunday ethic came from.
Now that most of North America is not adhering to the "old" strict Christian work ethic, anything goes on a Sunday. Now that most stores are also open on Sundays, shopping on Sunday has become a norm.
I'm not THAT old (honest), but I still remember when nothing was open on Sunday, not even the gas stations. You had to remember to gas up on Saturday evening if you were traveling anywhere on Sunday.
Sometimes, in this hectic era, I wonder if we shouldn't go back to the "day of rest."
Just sayin'

Honey I am that old (but I don't call it old, Just more mature than others,I'm 66) lol, and I definitely remember when nothing was open on Sunday.As best I remember there was even a law against stores being open on Sunday, I think it was called the Blue Law. It was so strange when places started opening up on Sunday. We still have no restraunts, open here on Sunday, Sonic and Dairy Queen are both open, but no restraunts.
I agree with everything being so hectic in todays world, but I won't get into the religious aspects. I just know how strongly I feel about some things. Everyone has their own ideas and opinions, and that's up to them what they do or don't do, and it's not my place to say who is right or wrong.

patchitpat 04-11-2011 04:21 AM

When I was growing up in a very religious home, I was never allowed to do anything on Sunday. But when I grew up and moved away I do everything on Sunday that I do on a normal day. But I wasn't allowed to wear makeup, go on dates till I was l8, go to dances or theater's because if the Lord came when I was in a place like that I wouldn' t be taken with Him.
That's old school now but I do still go to a church.

CircleSquare 04-11-2011 04:25 AM

I've read most of these posts. . . I've been thinking . . . many of us just continue the traditions we were raised with, without really thinking about why those traditions were in place. Some of the "don't do on the Sabbath" stuff is misplaced legalism, and some is simply honoring our God or our parents.
I am a professional longarm quilter, and I try to "work" 6 days a week, and sew or quilt my own projects in the evenings and on Sunday. That is my time of rest. We all need that. But if I have something that just has to get finished, I'll do it on Sunday. I'm not legalistic about it.

Lavada 04-11-2011 04:26 AM

funny dad always told me the same thing but i will certainly be busy as i have always quilted on sunday

Jill 04-11-2011 04:26 AM

I'm 62 so I can also remember when stores, etc. were closed on Sunday and it was a day of rest because it was "the Lord's day." When I was 10 my mother took me with her to visit a friend of my grandmother's. The lady had a loom and made her own rugs which I found fascinating. Mom asked her if she would show me how she used the loom and the lady replied that she would show me a little bit, but not much since it was Sunday, and she didn't like to work on the Lord's day. Gee, I wonder now if she was another influence in my life that instilled a love of sewing?