Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do your quilts have to match your room? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-your-quilts-have-match-your-room-t81334.html)

Ladyjanedoe 12-08-2010 07:22 AM

I don't think about what matches. I choose a pattern and some colors I might want to try and run with it. But I'm kind of lucky in that my house is still mostly painted flat white inside. We have the very high ceilings that make it difficult to paint and I'd rather be sewing so....
I'd hate to be limited by color schemes because sometimes you just want to try soemthign different!

kwhite 12-08-2010 07:24 AM

My quilts match my mood. The heck with the room.

QazyQltr 12-08-2010 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
None of mine do I make em cause I like the colors for a specific design. If someone likes it then they get it. I dont match nothing in any room

I agree. I work with colors that I enjoy. I would hope the receiver enjoys the gift as made. :-)

Lynnejean 12-08-2010 08:37 AM

Matchy matchy is just plain boring! I have a bedroom that is lovely blue and yellow and On my bed is a red, blue, yellow and pink quilt. My bedspread matches the room the quilt doesn't have too.

Jim's Gem 12-08-2010 09:40 AM

No.

I love lots of color. I have no qualms about throwing a quilt on my couch that does not match! Makes the room so much brighter and cheery!!

bluekrissyspikes 12-08-2010 09:49 AM

i usually ask someone what colours they have in their living room or bedroom before i make them a quilt but that doesn't really mean it will match cause sometimes it doesn't. sometimes i dont care but it the person is well dressed and normally matches their outfits well that is a clue to me that they would like it to be matchy-matchy.

hikingquilter 12-08-2010 02:18 PM

Not necessarily. I do like to think of the recipient's taste so I know they will use it. On the other hand I made a quilt for my great-granddaughter and her mother loved it so much she painted the bedroom to coordinate with it!

quiltinNsmilin 12-08-2010 02:50 PM

I try to use colors I know a particular person likes, or ones I think
will "fit" in someone's house. I have several friends who abhor brown in any form so I know I'd never put brown in a gift for them. Otherwise, I like to play with a lot of complimentary colors. I think that makes quilts more interesting. Since I usually "gift"
all the quilts I make, I don't worry about it.

cbuchanan 12-08-2010 02:51 PM

I try to make them in tones of the room but then again, I'm a huge fan of scrap quilts. You can't go wrong with those. They go with everything. But, for instance, i would never make a purple quilt for someone who is into earth tones or pink for someone like me who can't abide most pinks.

patdesign 12-08-2010 02:57 PM

Quilts are works of art, they DO NOT have to match! It's like "decorator art" Give me a break Puhleez!!