Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   does anyone own this machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-own-machine-t132813.html)

Candace 06-24-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kas

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by tealady
HI, I recently purchased that very machine! I have an older Kenmore I bought back in 76 or so. Been having trouble with the tension - decided I needed a new machine :)
I knew Janome made Kenmore. I was looking at a Janome then saw this Kenmore. It is very close to the Janome I was eyeing but was about $100 cheaper. I really like mine.

Janome does NOT make Kenmore. Kenmore is a Sears brand. Janome and Kenmores are made at the same factory and to similiar specs....but they aren't the same company.

So, in other words, they are both badged machines. Made by a totally seperate company for both Kenmore and Janome. My mom used to work at a factory that made oxford shirts. Some got the JcPenny logo, some got the Arrow logo and so on. Really eye opening.

Pretty much. Really the differences lie in the company who will be providing customer support, warranty service etc. :>

Flour Sack Mama 06-24-2011 05:07 PM

I have an old Kenmore 10 Stitch that my mom patched a lot of jeans with and we both sewed with decades ago. It's not fancy, but it still works.

lalaland 06-24-2011 05:20 PM

The Kenomre you show and the Janome DC 2010 are virtually the same machine and share the same manufacturer. I have the DC 2010's in my classroom. Never had a problem so I don't think you could go wrong with the Kenmore.

I own all 3 - Brother, Kenmore and Janome. Have always had good luck with them. The CS6000i's, I've heard, are either great or have problems, guess it's just the luck of the draw.

okiepastor 06-24-2011 05:23 PM

I LOVE the Kenmore 158, and they are not hard to find---great old vintage machine--a real workhorse and LOTS of stitches if you get all the cams--I have 30!

BellaBoo 06-24-2011 05:45 PM

There are two types of Brothers. One group is made for discount stores and one is made for high end shops. You won't find a low quality Brother at a dealer. They have to service and guarantee the machines sold by a dealer. The high end Kenmores are great machines. Many members of my guild have them.

Janet P. 06-24-2011 07:10 PM

Kenmore is just a Sears name. They don't manufacture their own products. Companies like Whirlpool, LG, Janome and Maytag make the Kenmore products. Therefore, this machine is made by Janome and thanks to this post I purchased the Kenmore today for $233 instead of the Janome. I was contemplating on buying the Janome DC2010 for $400. Can't wait to get my machine next week.1

miriam 06-25-2011 02:52 AM

Singer 401 or 403 or 500 or 503 are Slant-o-matics. They do all of the decorative stitches those newer ones do, etc. They are not real heavy because the bodies are aluminum. You can still get parts, accessories, cords, foot controls, service manuals and people to work on them if something is wrong.

Originally Posted by jljack
If you read on the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop thread, there are many, many vintage machines that do most of what the newer machines do and are much more reliable. They are made of all metal, no plastic, which is what goes wrong in the newer machines.

A Singer 500 series has all the decorative stitches, etc. that you are getting on these machines you are showing. And they run forever!!

liminanc 06-25-2011 03:13 AM

I have a Kenmore I have model 19233 which I have had at least 8 yrs that I love. Have never had a problem with it.

merchjag 06-25-2011 03:14 AM

I have a Pfaff Quilt Expression 2046 I love it but I had to take it to my repairman-it was breaking my thread. You guessed it-the plastic thing(sorry don't recall the name)a disc inside the threading mechanism was notched by my thread-do you believe that? Luckily he was able to file it away and now it works well. Is anyone aware that the Pfaffs are no longer being made in Germany? I will not be buying another one- I quess it's time to get out my old Singer and have it revamped for use. :cry:

Yooper32 06-25-2011 03:20 AM

About seven yrs. ago, I bought a 19606 Kenmore computerized machine after sewing on my old Elna for over 40 yrs. I wanted some bells and whistles after that long. This Kenmore has been wonderful and never has faltered. I have so many fancy stitches on it that I will never use them all, but many, I do. I couldn't ask for a better machine, unless it had a much larger throat area.