Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   does anyone own this machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyone-own-machine-t132813.html)

k9dancer 06-25-2011 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by vickig626
not sure the price range you're looking at but Babylock makes great machines in a wide range of prices. Janome also has some great machines on the lower price range as well.

I bought one for classes (for weight reasons) and only paid $150 for it....it's a little workhorse for a mechanical machine. I've had it for 3 years now and it's runs like a dream.

Which machine are you referencing?

mamunger 06-25-2011 07:46 AM

Hi! I own this machine, but it is a Euro-pro. It is a little work horse. I have used it for machine quilting small projects and free-motion embroidery as well. It's big brother is another story! Anyway, GREAT little machine, can't beat the price!

Rose Ann 06-25-2011 08:01 AM

I bought my Kenmore Oct 1956, but it is a 1957 model 117.841, made in Western Germany. It also has Sears-Simpson LTD Canada on the serial plate. It was top-o-line in '56 with plastic cams for decorative stitching. It is all metal and very heavy. Wouldn't give it up for anything.

pbreon 06-25-2011 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02
I happen to love Kenmore machines, I have model 19233 which is made by Janome as all Kenmore's are. However, rumor has it, that Sears/Kenmore will not be selling sewing machines anymore. Not sure why but it seems they are going to selling Brother, Singer etc, but not their own brand anymore.

I too, own a Kenmore/Jenome. I purchased it some 18 yrs ago... it has NEVER given me a problem... I have had it serviced one time andnow I do keep it oiled and clean especially the bobbin area...
I was told if you do this it will last a long time... mine was actually one of the first "computer" type machine.... I love it and fell like I really do not need to fork out $$$$ for a new one that does lots of the stuff
a new can do.... also own 2 special antique Singers(one FW) great little workhorses>>> :thumbup:

quiltnutt 06-25-2011 09:34 AM

I had this machine and loved it...if this is the Janome 8080 sold by Sears.
I used mine for retreats til my sister saw it..so being the good sister that I am..she has it and loves it also.
Great stitches and I want to get another one but can't find one.

2manyprojects 06-25-2011 10:16 AM

Yes, I have had mine for 4 years and NO PROBLEMS ---it was a gift from him for Christmas, so I had no input and was floored when I opened it...thinking...aw no, but it is wonderful...it is not cheap although it is plastic and has done everything I hve asked it to and more....I purchased the walking foot for it and use it to sew, quilt, and repair and make clothes. Any more questions pm me and we'll talk.

sylviasmom 06-25-2011 11:30 AM

I worked with computers for 25yrs. Had a saying: garbage in, garbage out. With sewing machines, the more computer features, the more glitches. There have been discussions before on what features a person wants and what capabilities a sewing machine should have. Make a list. You want to make an education decision. For your money you want what you want, not what the salesperson thinks you should have.

cheryl rearick 06-25-2011 12:07 PM

You know, I see and hear many talk about the fancy machines. They do beautiful work. Mine is a 1974 Viking, not digital... I love it. goes through many layers of denim and just seems to be a work horse. Needs no oil as most. I hear there is a special chamber that does have oil, but I never have to get into it. I'm sorry about your machine have a nice day

reeskylr 06-25-2011 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Crafty Lady in WA

Originally Posted by Quilter7x

Originally Posted by Crafty Lady in WA

Originally Posted by Boopers
How often do you clean your machine? I delint mine at every bobbin change. It really makes a difference on how your machine works. I have a 'cheap' Brother, a Singer emb. machine, a Bernina and several vintage Singers. They all mess up when they are linty and need cleaning.

I keep a can of air near by and use it often to keep it lint free

It is not recommended to use canned air on computerized machines.

I didn't know that either, considering they sell it in the quilt stores and I use one on my PC. Hrm...

Oh???? I didn't know that. Thanks for letting me know

verlena 06-25-2011 04:17 PM

Never use canned air on any sewing machine. It blows all the lint under the body of the machine where all your gears and greas are. The only way to clean that out is to take it to adealer and pay good money to get it cleaned.