Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Does anyone's husband/wife complain about your buying fabric? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/does-anyones-husband-wife-complain-about-your-buying-fabric-t35051.html)

Kryssa 01-25-2010 12:05 AM

I don't bother my fiance about his spending habits (computer parts and donations to NPR and the ACLU) and he doesn't bother me about my yarn and fabric :)

nellebelles 01-25-2010 12:09 AM

For those of you who have complaining spouses, maybe if you make him/her a quilt of their own, showcasing a hobby or something special they like, it might change the way they think about your hobby... Worth a try, maybe? ;-)

memathomas 01-25-2010 12:17 AM

i used to have a problem with mine but since i made him a john deer lap quilt he wanted me to make one for his brother and his cousin and on and on so now he bought me two machines and a quilting machine and frame. now he goes with me to shop for fabric and in some cases i ask for his in put. sometimes i show him a quilt or throw i made and he likes it so much i give it to him he likes me to make table toppers and toppers for the furniture the dressers and night stands in the bedroom he keeps me busy. the one thing he will do is come and pull me out of the sewing room because he is hungry BUT IT TOOK 45 years to get here

memathomas

AbbyQuilts 01-25-2010 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by nellebelles
For those of you who have complaining spouses, maybe if you make him/her a quilt of their own, showcasing a hobby or something special they like, it might change the way they think about your hobby... Worth a try, maybe? ;-)

I made him one. He likes it, I made him a flannel plaid rag quilt.
Maybe if I get him a hobby that he has to spend money on he would lighten up but ohh well what can I say I picked him :P

lisalovesquilting 01-25-2010 12:59 AM

Mine doesn't complain but I'm sure he doesn't realize what I spend. He has his hobbies (fishing, bowling and a greenhouse). He goes to Los Vegas once a year, I go to Paducah and retreats. So I guess the answer is for him to get a life!

memathomas 01-25-2010 01:01 AM

LOL i think your right

patricej 01-25-2010 02:24 AM

we don't live your life, so don't really have enough facts to provide a fair and accurate answer. i have no idea how big an affect that $5 has on the health of your family budget.

i came of age in the 70s. clouds of smoke from burning bras hung thick in the air. i never had to break the chains of oppression because i refused to put them on in the first place.

unless you're a spendaholic and have driven your family to the brink of financial ruin, i just can't imagine tolerating that attitude or treatment from a spouse. it's a Certificate of Marriage. NOT a Deed of Ownership.

if you aren't spending money you really need for necessities, offer him two choices: (1) see a shrink; or (2) go jump in a lake.

Doda 01-25-2010 02:33 AM

My daughter complains all the time. (I'm divorced) But I just ignore her and remind her she's not my husband so stop complaining and stop being bossy. (rofl)

marsye 01-25-2010 03:27 AM

Nope, he goes with me and takes it to the counter to get it cut while I still shop for more. :thumbup: Sorry girls, hes mine! LOL

watterstide 01-25-2010 03:30 AM

My husband doesn't know what i spend on fabric, and he doesn't seem interested in my hobby. He has asked me to make baby quilts to give to the guys at his work, who's wives have just had babies. and i do it for him. cheerfully!
He has a motorcycle hobby, and it is an expensive one. i have never asked him about about the money he spends. The bills are paid,he works hard, and i am not his mother.
I am trying this year, to stashbust,finish up the UFO's,use what i have.
when he was laid off, i quit buying anything for 8 months. and rightly so.