Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't Know What To Do (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-know-what-do-t220099.html)

twoxover 04-27-2013 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 6028713)
I'd finish it and pass it on to Quilts of Valor.

But first... I'd ask your brother how he feels about it all.

I tend to agree with Hill Country. I think this is what I would do.

Quiltngolfer 04-27-2013 05:35 AM

Finish it and donate.

owlvamp 04-27-2013 05:39 AM

This happened to my nephew as well. To the point he was going to hurt himself. It's crazy!

Quilter 65 04-27-2013 06:26 AM

I guess I feel a bit differently. I would wait and discuss it with him. I base it on my experience when I lost a full-term baby. Well meaning people went to the house and all of the baby stuff "disappeared". I have always felt like that is something I needed to do and the decision was made for me without my input. I guess I would have liked to be asked. You don't know what a person needs in their heart to work through a trial. Just MHO for what it is worth. You could do what Hill Country said and donate to QOV if he doesn't want it and make him another. Good luck to both of you.

IrishNY 04-27-2013 06:53 AM

I wouldn't mention it to him now. It's an emotional time for him. But I wouldn't get rid of it either. I would wait for a while (might be 3 months, might be a year) when he's not so close to the painful time and able to put the disappointment in perspective. Right now, it's the end of a dream but the pain will fade as it always does. That's the time to ask him if it's something he would want you to finish for him or if it would just remind him of an dream that wasn't achieved.

nativetexan 04-27-2013 06:56 AM

it was a medical discharge. he didn't do anything wrong. but ask him and go from there.

narnianquilter 04-27-2013 07:43 AM

Finish it and talk with him. Obviously this is a rough time for him, and it may be too soon. And if he doesn't like it maybe he knows someone who would!

MargeD 04-28-2013 03:22 AM

My sincere condolences to your brother. Since this is a difficult time for him, I might wait for a bit, then ask him if he would like it or not, perhaps he might suggest someone who might want it. With the world such a crazy place right now, I commend him on his wish to serve his country - we need more young men and women to do so. I wish him well.

twinkie 04-28-2013 03:45 AM

That is a difficult situation. I have found that sometimes when they get out after completing their service they do not want a reminder of it. It has to be your call. Good luck

BuzzinBumble 04-28-2013 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 6028713)
I'd finish it and pass it on to Quilts of Valor.

But first... I'd ask your brother how he feels about it all.

Yes, that's what I was thinking too. You know your brother best, so you can decide if asking him is a good idea. It would be a shame to give it away if he would love it.