Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Don't Know What To Do (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dont-know-what-do-t220099.html)

Jannie 04-28-2013 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal (Post 6028713)
I'd finish it and pass it on to Quilts of Valor.

But first... I'd ask your brother how he feels about it all.

I was going to suggest Quilts of Valor if the brother really doesn't want it around.

Rose_P 04-28-2013 05:21 PM

I agree with those who have said that you should not give it to your brother, and if he doesn't know about it, all the better. Someone will treasure that quilt, and for him, it could only be a painful reminder. See what he has in mind to do next, and maybe you can make a quilt that's appropriate, or how about asking if he has a bunch of old t-shirts that he's kept for sentimental reasons and making him a t-shirt quilt that will help to remind him that he has had other interests and strengths and connections in life aside from this one goal that has been taken from him.

jarenie 04-29-2013 10:11 AM

My son got a medical discarge during Boot Camp. It does not stop him form beith a Marine. He is one of their best supporters. I finished his Quilt and he still loves and is proud of it.
Take the time to find out how he feels about the service. Not everyone can serve in the military but everyone can serve the country and the men who keep us FREE.
I am proud of him for signing up.

klarina 04-29-2013 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by marymay (Post 6030835)
The Marine"s have a saying "Once a Marine always a Marine" Please give this Quilt to him.

I agree. You should honor him as a marine. I think he is a big boy and this is part of his life. There is no need to pretend this didn't happen.

kaelynangelfoot 04-29-2013 12:06 PM

Thank-you everyone for the input. I will likely stash it away for a few months and then talk to him about it. If he doesn't want it, I'll let him pick out any pattern/fabric he wants for a new quilt. I really appreciate the time everyone took to give this thought and to reply. I'm very sad for him and praying it all works out somehow. Your support is so much appreciated!

ube quilting 04-29-2013 01:00 PM

IMHO, I would finish the quilt and give it to him regardless of the circumstance. You still love him and this could show him how much he is thought of no matter what.
peace

After a conversation about this quilt him, another quilt will just be a replacement quilt holding the same pain.

I would not talk to him about it, just make give and have peace with what happened. Jarenie @ post 33 has a good grasp on this situation.

He is a marine and should be supported as such.
peace

MacThayer 04-29-2013 02:08 PM

I think you will know whether he wants the quilt after you have spent some time with him. Just observe. Does he talk proudly about being at Boot Camp? Does he have other Marine "Symbols" in full view? You need to find out how he feels about what just happened, and that will take some time, and some brother-sister bonding. After a while, you will just "know" whether or not to give him the quilt. He'll put out all the signals you'll need. If the Marines are the last thing he wants to talk about, and he's trashed or hidden all reminders of Boot Camp, etc. finish the quilt and give it to "Quilts of Valor". Then make him another quilt about his new dreams, or all the things that make him uniquely him.