Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Machine Embroidery (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/)
-   -   Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun (https://www.quiltingboard.com/machine-embroidery-f28/embroidery-machines-lets-chat-have-fun-t32969.html)

romanojg 10-27-2012 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Threads 77 (Post 5612354)
Found this thread that is nice to learn from. I have an older HUs. Viking Designer 1. Have done a number of quilt blocks etc. Didn't get a dongle with it but will hope I can find one to work with the machine. One person told me that some dongles will only work with the machiine it came with..anyone know if this is true?

For Vikings, the dongle is only used for software not the machine. I'm not sure what version of software yours came with if any but they come with now 5D organizer which doesn't require a dongle to use. Once you get any of the versions of 5D suites like I have 5D Pro then you use a dongle; it tells the pc what version of software you own plus if you have added any extras like CardShop.

If you are just talking about the USB; then you are in luck. The USB is where you can save designs too and then take them to your machine and either download them onto your machine (depending on machine) or just use the design from the USB. I just learned that you can use any USB as long as it isn't too large or too full. Mine came with a 1G usb but I have started using a 4G usb, not because I need the extra storage just so that I can stash mine away so that if I trade in my machine I don't have to worry about it being lost or something. I did have the Ruby for a yr and loved the machine and just traded it in for the Diamond Deluxe.

gmronnie 10-28-2012 04:18 AM

Did you buy your 4GB USB stich from husqvarna. I was told only one purchased from Viking would work. Also do know how much the 5D embroidery cost.

romanojg 10-28-2012 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by gmronnie (Post 5617884)
Did you buy your 4GB USB stich from husqvarna. I was told only one purchased from Viking would work. Also do know how much the 5D embroidery cost.

I orginally thougth that as well. But I'm taking classes for the 5D pro and we were told that we could use ours, I think it might have to be the png (think that's it, I'll check when I go get mine). I since then started saving my files to my own instead of the one that came with my machine and have had no problem. The machines come with 1G and I've heard it was expensive and you can pick up usb units cheap. I know that when I trade this in many yrs from now they'll want the one that came with the machine so I've stored it away for safe keeping. It wont hurt to try. Save some files to a USB and then take that to your machine and pull them up. I was so happy when our Viking teacher told us this. It'd would be great if the dongle could be done the same way but without the dongle that comes with the purchased software you can't use anything except for the organizer. let me know if I can help in any ways or if you need a question answered and I don't know it I can ask my teacher. I normally see her every week. Well, with the storm not sure if there will be a class tomorrow or not.

Sophie2 10-29-2012 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by gmronnie (Post 5617884)

My Viking dealer tole me I could use any USB stick. Haven't gotten a new one yet, but I was excited to hear that.

beginner di 10-30-2012 10:55 AM

I recently purchased a Viking Ruby sewing machine and have little experience in embroidery and quilting. I would like to purchase a kit offering several colors of embroidery thread. I am looking for suggestions as to what type of thread to look for. What is most economical - not to eliminate quality? It can be mind boggling searching because I am not familiar with this product. All suggestions are welcome! Thank you.
beginner di

romanojg 10-30-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by beginner di (Post 5623837)
I recently purchased a Viking Ruby sewing machine and have little experience in embroidery and quilting. I would like to purchase a kit offering several colors of embroidery thread. I am looking for suggestions as to what type of thread to look for. What is most economical - not to eliminate quality? It can be mind boggling searching because I am not familiar with this product. All suggestions are welcome! Thank you.
beginner di

I just traded my Ruby in on a Diamond Deluxe. The Ruby is a great machine and very easy to use. I would suggest in the beginning to buy a few different types of thread to see what you like. The Ruby, she likes them all. I use RA rayon alot and have recently learned that you can go online to Sears and get it for 3.99 a spool which is almost 1/2 price. I also like Floriani, Sulky, Jenny Haskins and Prencia rayons for embroidery. They have a nice shine to them. I don't buy kits, what I do is when I'm buying colors and don't have a project in mind but just want to either stock up or its on sale, I chose a at least two shades of a color. The reason is that almost every design that I've ever stitched used to similar shades to do the shading in the design. This has saved me so many times.
When you download designs try for VP3 first, then VIP and then HUS, even though Ruby will see almost all of them.

Make sure each month you go to myembroidery.com for Viking and get the free design and project for the month. YOu still have time for Oct to get them. I hope you get to take the classes because you can learn so much from it. My favorite thing is the cutwork needles.Good luck and congratulations on your Ruby. You'll love her.

beginner di 10-31-2012 01:09 PM

Thank you, Judy, for this great information!

beginner di

nstitches4u 10-31-2012 01:53 PM

I have a Babylock Ellisimo. I do embroidered quilt blocks (embroider a design on the fabric for the center of the block and then build the rest of the block around it. I like to do embroidered lace Christmas ornaments. All our ornaments are embroidered. This was out of necessity. They don't break when the cats bat them off of the tree and play hockey with them! lol You can embroider on almost anything, shirts, jeans, jackets, placemats, caps (if you have a machine with a hat hoop) and even toilet paper. We have a friend who retired from her career a few years ago. She was a teacher, then a principal and finally an assistant superintendent. She was in the same district (ours) her whole career. She is currently the president of the school board. She has so many shirts, sweatshirts, tote bags, jackets, caps, etc. with the school name on it. She jokingly said she would buy toilet paper if it had the school name on it. So we presented her with a roll of toilet paper embroidered with the school name and mascot. She loved it.

Ccorazone 10-31-2012 02:04 PM

I store all of my designs on a external hard drive then when I wan to use them I move them over to a USB drive then to my embroidery machine. I have made folders to store them in by designer and if a freebie I store under misc. and what type of design it is. ie. christmas, butterflies, etc.
I probably have over 100,000 designs including the complete 2005 Dakota Collectibles. I join clubs and download all I can and look for bargins on designs when I shop. I know I have too many and will never use all that I have (but you never know when you will need "just that one").

quiltnut4ever 11-01-2012 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Ccorazone (Post 5626245)
I store all of my designs on a external hard drive then when I wan to use them I move them over to a USB drive then to my embroidery machine. I have made folders to store them in by designer and if a freebie I store under misc. and what type of design it is. ie. christmas, butterflies, etc.
I probably have over 100,000 designs including the complete 2005 Dakota Collectibles. I join clubs and download all I can and look for bargins on designs when I shop. I know I have too many and will never use all that I have (but you never know when you will need "just that one").

Ccorazone,
I am totally with you! I'm an embroidery-holic. I can't get enough designs for the life of me. I just organized my usb files, I have two of them, and realized I have over 150,000 designs and like you I look for the best deals and freebies! But you're right,
you never know when you will need "just that one" :D