Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ethical Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ethical-question-t46314.html)

pittsburgpam 05-18-2010 09:43 AM

I too do a lot of browsing and looking at quilts and almost all the time I can figure out how it was made. I wouldn't copy a truly original design and say it was my own but, as one person said, a lot of quilts are made up of traditional blocks put together in a different way or use of color.

Something I found interesting is that in EQ6 all of the blocks are not copywrite (unless you install an add-on by a specific designer) and they can be used any way you want to. You could say that it was inspired by a certain design.

I do purchase patterns too.

butterflywing 05-18-2010 11:59 AM

maybe you can make a change here and there and also give credit on the back for the inspiration. this sounds like a copyright question.

Lucky Patsy's 05-18-2010 12:08 PM

I think it would be unethical to make any money off it without buying the kit. I would give credit by saying it was inspired by_____________.

Pam 05-18-2010 12:51 PM

Unless you sell it, or put it in a show to turn a profit, who would care? I have yet to enter a "real" show, but always give credit where it is due.

Again, I just think that is the right thing to do. However if I am using a technique that I learned somewhere else to reproduce my own photograph, ect I do not feel the need to give credit.

I can see the label now, it would look like an acceptance speech from the Oscars.

I would like to thank Steam a Seam, and Coats and Clark, and Kodak, and Benartex, and my mother, I love you Mom!

However, I will put inspired by the stained glass windows designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Or Quilter's Cache, ect.

Dina 05-18-2010 12:51 PM

I am fairly new to quilting, so there may be a protocol I am not familiar with, but I am not new to sewing. I often copied clothes that I had seen when I sew for myself. I never even thought about it being wrong. As long as you don't sell it or claim you created the design, I would think it would be just fine. I will be reading the answers you get though. It may very well be that I am way wrong here.

marsye 05-18-2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
No you don't have to buy the kit . Anyone can make any quilt any way they want to as long as you don't advertise it as "yours" Does that make sense ?

What she said. :thumbup:

Kitsie 05-18-2010 12:57 PM

If the pattern is also printed in the magazine as well as offered as a kit, you could just buy a back issue of the magazine, which, of course you probably already know. If it's only as a kit then I guess you're out of luck! These are such "iffy" situations! Anybody know a lawyer or expert that could give us a "tute" on these laws?

bearisgray 05-18-2010 12:57 PM

It does get sticky -

hexagons inspired by a bee's honey comb -

tiles from thousands of years ago -

a design inspired by a kaleidoscope -

a landscape quilt inspired by the landscape -

haven't seen many designers crediting "God" or "the Creator"

where does the "original" concept come from?

lfw045 05-18-2010 12:59 PM

Tile from my bathroom floor. I say make it......LOL!

Gramof6 05-18-2010 01:19 PM

As long as you are not going to sell it, make it & maybe include the place of inspiration on the label. And no you do not need to buy a pattern or a kit if you can make it without one. To a point, this can only get as sticky as you allow it. Are you going to take a pic & have it published all over the place claiming it is your design? No. So okay, anyone can make a block or quilt if it is an easy one to do or is out there somewhere for all to see & figure out for themselves. Make it & enjoy. My 1/2 a cent may be wrong but geesh this just gets my goat at times & gets carried too far. LOL