Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ethical Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ethical-question-t46314.html)

Pam 05-18-2010 05:29 PM

I will do as I have always done, if I copy my own photo, it is original, as far as I am concerned. It is not unususal for me to mix it my own original things with traditional blocks and then throw in some paper piecing just to mix it up some.

thequilteddove 05-18-2010 05:39 PM

Be it right or wrong, if you can figure it out yourself go for it! I would/have and will again I'm sure!

vjengels 05-19-2010 04:31 AM

Wow, is it illegal to make something after you saw it? I do that all the time! we'll have to wear extra clothes to bed, cuz' there won't be any bed covers at my place!

LindaR 05-19-2010 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by JNCT14
OK - here is the dilemma. I am browsing on sites, reading this forum, looking at quilting magazines and I happen to see a quilt that is just SO pretty, I am dying to make it. I also notice that I can purchase a kit in order to make this wonderful quilt.

However, I am a pretty experienced quilter, I know the design, I calculate my own yardage, and I don't need directions. However - do I still have to buy the kit?

Now note that I would not sell the quilt after I make it. And I KNOW that we need to support quilt businesses so they can stay in business. But I wouldn't use the kit, so why am I paying for it?

So lets hear your opinions!

IMHO you are never obligated to buy the kit...I can usually look at a block and decide if I can figure out the measurements.

ajpadilla 05-19-2010 04:36 AM

From the U.S. Copyright Office: "Copyright does not protect ideas, concepts, systems, or methods of doing something. You may express your ideas in writing or drawings and claim copyright in your description, but be aware that copyright will not protect the idea itself as revealed in your written or artistic work."

As a designer myself... I agree. There are many traditional quilt blocks that have been around for centuries (that in itself places them in the public domain). Not only that, you can find certain designs in different cultures. Who is to say who came up with the idea first? Ideas are in fact a part of our collective consciousness as the human race.

In this case, what is protected is the kit itself, along with its instructions. This has happened to me several times with tutorials. The objective of a tutorial is to teach something... a method or idea. If somebody takes that idea and turns around and teaches it to somebody else, that is fair game. What that person cannot do is take my written instructions and photos/illustrations and use them as her/his own.

Does this help? I do think it is too bad that this whole copyright issue has tended to make quilters a little paranoid. Even though I design myself, I certainly wouldn't want fellow quilters to feel stifled about letting their own creativity lose! However, when in doubt, it is always best to ask. Even though designers do not always have things clear, either.

If you Google "copyright" you will find many articles covering the topic that might shed some light for you.

Jingle 05-19-2010 04:39 AM

If I could do it like you said you could then I would make it. I don't see a thing wrong with making it. I am making my first quilt from a kit, I like the colors, the instructions are lousy and not enough of them. I won't buy another and make up lots of my quilts and don't know or worry about whether someone has made them or not. If you don't sell it, who will know?

Jingle 05-19-2010 04:39 AM

If I could do it like you said you could then I would make it. I don't see a thing wrong with making it. I am making my first quilt from a kit, I like the colors, the instructions are lousy and not enough of them. I won't buy another and make up lots of my quilts and don't know or worry about whether someone has made them or not. If you don't sell it, who will know?

reach for the stars 2 05-19-2010 04:43 AM

If your not selling it u don't have to worry. Also who to say if u bought the kit and used different material. I have bought kits I like and made the quilt and then turned around and made another with different material, but if selling the pattern will say from the author...not to be made and resold it's a no no. A lot of embroidery designs are like that. I don't buy them, who wants to make something and then don't have the option to sell it. I always check the fine print.

grannie cheechee 05-19-2010 04:45 AM

When we (guildmembers) enter a quilt in a show, as long as you change the title of the pattern, but give the designer the credit we were told that is okay. If you think about it all pattern blocks from the "old days" are still used, different names for the same block.

Shibori 05-19-2010 04:47 AM

Hardly anything is original in the quilting arena. Even original designs take their elements from common techniques and shaping. You can't copyright flying geese or half square triangles but you can copyright the intructions you write for your quilt.