Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel fabrics... what do YOU use them for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-fabrics-what-do-you-use-them-t35882.html)

jamsbuying 02-04-2010 08:17 AM

I use good quality flannel for baby quilt backing and for rag quilts. No JoAnns - flannel from LQS always better quality.

Grammiesews 02-04-2010 08:37 AM

I make chennelle team blankets using four layers of flannel. I try to buy my flannel from the quilt shops.

Bevanger 02-04-2010 08:37 AM

i use for the backs of quilts as i don't use batting

Joan 02-04-2010 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I like to put flannel on the back of lap quilts it keep them from sliding off. I also like to put them on the backs of my Linus quilts. They are so nice and cuddly against the skin.

Exactly my thoughts.....

CrystalKicks 02-04-2010 08:55 AM

No one has said it yet....but Ive used it for batting in the quilt because it gives you the warmth but not the high quilty feeling....

mudsprite 02-04-2010 09:22 AM

I love making flannel quilts. So do all of my loved ones who get them for presents.

If you want them to be flat, prewash. If you want puckers around quilting, don't prewash.

My first flannel quilt I used JoAnn's. Never again. For a baby quilt that will be outgrown or washed and washed perhaps would be OK.

Expensive as good flannel can be, just like any other quilt you wish to last, it is worth the investment.

I find simpler patterns to showcase the prints and colors are easier to deal with though I love doing raggy quilts with applique.

My family doesn't want their regular quilts during the winter and the flannel bed quilts are brought in to watch TV or wrap themselves while playing board games.

My grand nieces and nephews call me to tell me how tall they are to get new flannel or raggy quilts. I have to do four full size this spring to be ready for Christmas.

I would say don't confine yourself to patterns just for flannel but check out a few books from library so you learn about different fascets of working with this fabric.

If I knew how to post pictures I would do so to show a few examples. Oh, I love to quilt designs in flannel as they show
up so well if you don't prewash.

Good Luck

bstanbro 02-04-2010 09:23 AM

I made a rag quilt that I love. I have enough fabric left over to make another different quilt that is intended to be made with flannels. Eventually, I will use them.

Karen's Kreations 02-04-2010 10:25 AM

I made a quilt for my husband - all flannel. He loves it - says it's really warm. He takes it when he goes hunting.

LUV2QLT 02-04-2010 10:36 AM

Good One CrystalKicks! I've used flannel for batting for table toppers - doesn't give it the thickness of a quilt!

judyjo 02-04-2010 10:39 AM

I use flannel for baby blankets for the NICU and I also use it as batting for table runners. The table runners lie flatter when I use the flannel.

judyjo