Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-quilts-t121763.html)

Deborah12687 05-09-2011 03:27 AM

I have 3 large boxes of flannel scraps that I picked up from a garage sale years ago. I sew the blocks together and use it for backing on quilts. They make wonderful baby blankets.

ksea 05-09-2011 03:28 AM

I made 4 Trip around the world quilts, all flannel.

ckcowl 05-09-2011 03:45 AM

MOST of my quilts are flannel- I LOVE WORKING WITH FLANNELS!
when you look at the pics of my quilts most of them are flannel- or at least partially flannel- you just can't tell from the pictures.
the phesant quilt is mostly flannels-corduroy's and denims (heavy cottons)
there is even flannel in the amazing grace and ashley's ocean quilts.

daisylil 05-09-2011 04:01 AM

i love flannel but hard to get in uk anyone know of a good *flannel* site in US?

jljquilter 05-09-2011 04:03 AM

I've also done numerous baby quilts in flannel. Sometimes I pre-wash sometimes I don't. A quilt pre-washed doesn't shrink. One washed after quilting does but it usually shrinks then it looks fine because it's held in place.
What I was wondering about is routine washing of a queen size. Has anyone washed one? The weight could be a problem in both the washer and dryer. Line drying could bring my lines down. I really love flannel. That's the first place I go in a LQS. I prefer their quality over chain stores. Not cheap but in flannel you usually seem to get what you pay for.

canuckninepatch 05-09-2011 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by sharon b
All the rag quilts I have made are flannel - but have never tried to back a quilt with flannel

Pretty well all my baby quilts are flannel-backed - wonderful and cozy!!

Johanna Fritz 05-09-2011 04:53 AM

This Wisconsinite has mad several flannel quilts. My baby quilts are usually flannel, and I have made some for my sons, and another for a friend. I cannot imagine piecing one without my walking foot.

deema 05-09-2011 04:58 AM

I often use flannel to back my quilts, usually when I don't, I'm using fleece or minky. I don't use regular cotton to back quilts often, I think I have only backed two or three with cotton. I like the feel of it better to snuggle up in. I have never used flannel to piece a top, though.

AlienQuilter 05-09-2011 05:07 AM

I love making flannel quilts.

I prewash all flannel and dry on high heat and immediately remove and fold it smoothly - no wrinkles.

I don't iron it - afraid of stretching it. Because I remove it quickly from the dryer there's no need for ironing.

Last quilt I made I did not use pins because the fabric did not slide around. I just "pinched" the middle of each block to keep it lined up.

Very important to remember - clean your bobbin area everytime you refill the bobbin. Flannel is very linty!]

I used 3 layers of flannel - top, batting and backing.

I would not recommend an "intricate" pattern using flannel. It's very stretchy and frays easily. Simple is better.

I just use a very simple quilting design. Last quilt, I just quilted from one corner of a block to another corner of a block beneath it creating a "diamond" design. Thing giant zig zag across the quilt with another zig zag crossing over it in the center of each block.

Those of you with sergers - dust them off and use them. Sergers are fantastic for flannel quilts.

Lucy90 05-09-2011 05:38 AM

I have made many quilts from flannel and have posted pictures of them. Maybe we just don't say it is flannel. I love working with flannel and they are so warm.