Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-quilts-t121763.html)

Havasuredhat 05-09-2011 07:30 AM

The rag quilts I have done are 8" or 6" squares that are sewn wrong side together with 1" seams.. The seams are then cut in strips about 1/8" wide and when it is washed, after putting it all together(do not wash before cutting)the seams fray and make a beautiful design. I have made 7 over the last year, for family, they love them. I have also varied the pattern by using a larger square in the middle and arranging the other blocks around it.

Pieceful Quilter 05-09-2011 07:32 AM

Love, love, love flannel! BUT... always wash it twice in hot water and dry it in a hot dryer before you begin using it, as it will shrink a lot.

KSue 05-09-2011 08:01 AM

I made Christmas quilts for my grandchildren that were backed in flanner. I love how they turned out.

dash2000lbs 05-09-2011 08:58 AM

I use flannel for my baby quilts...

sailsablazin 05-09-2011 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by jljquilter
You're right. They are nice in Wisconsin. I have made two Queen size and numerous lap size flannel quilts. Tops and backs are all flannel. They were hand quilted (outline).
I am wondering if anyone has washed a finished queen size flannel quilt? I'm sure that my washer and dryer are not up to the challenge but I hate to think about a laundromat. I have washed lap size ones and they seem to do fine.

I have washed a flannel (store bought)queen quilt...(top and back flannel.) I do have one of those new BIG SIZE front loading washers...and it came out just fine. This is also the one that the whole family fights over..

978gray 05-09-2011 09:05 AM

Any quilt I make that is meant to be used, I use flannel for a backing. I find it very soft and comfy. My kids and husband really appreciate a flannel backing!

sailsablazin 05-09-2011 09:08 AM

I would love to make a flannel quilt but was told by a quilting friend that flannel stretches big time and that I would have lots of "challenges" keeping things square.
Has anyone run into this problem? She mentioned this when I had problems with the bias on my Pinwheel...does the bias just stretch? or does all of the flannel stretch? or is the newer flannel better to work with?

IBQUILTIN 05-09-2011 09:45 AM

I have made several flannel quilts, and I love them. Soft to the touch, easy to work with, and just a litle warmer than cotton

Iamquilter 05-09-2011 09:51 AM

I have made several baby quilts using flannel for the piecing and for the backing. In fact the avatar is a flannel baby quilt, a kit I bought in Texas two years ago at the Hobby Lobby store.

loriea 05-09-2011 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by sailsablazin
I would love to make a flannel quilt but was told by a quilting friend that flannel stretches big time and that I would have lots of "challenges" keeping things square.
Has anyone run into this problem? She mentioned this when I had problems with the bias on my Pinwheel...does the bias just stretch? or does all of the flannel stretch? or is the newer flannel better to work with?

I buy good quality flannel and have not had any problem. I have made several baby quilts, a double and a queen size. Good luck