Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-quilts-t121763.html)

Happy Linda 05-09-2011 05:42 AM

Yep, love them.

Dkm 05-09-2011 06:12 AM

I hope someone will pop in with an answer for me. I want to make a flannel quilt with the top being cotton, no batting and flannel for backing. Has anyone tried this.

QuiltnNan 05-09-2011 06:15 AM

i've made flannel ones, but just for the little ones. flannel is usually too heavy for a big quilt, imo

TootieAnn 05-09-2011 06:20 AM

I love the feel of flannel. A LQS is going out of business and I would love to buy some of their flannel. I've spent more than my fabric budget for this month though so I don't know if I'll be able to get any or not. I guess that depends on whether or not I can sell something before the shop closes (May 28 or when inventory runs out). I'm really sorry to see this shop close.

maryb44662 05-09-2011 06:26 AM

After my youngest daughter was out of receiving blankets, I took all of them (a lot) and cut them into 10" squares and made a quilt for her. She still has the quilt. I usually pick up receiving blankets as well as any other flannel garments from flea markets/goodwill stores to made a quilt or use for backing. Mary

Barb C. 05-09-2011 06:27 AM

Please wash your flannel before cutting it. It does shrink about 2 inch per yard!

mhansen6 05-09-2011 06:31 AM

I am making one right now. I call it a floor quilt because it is a baby quilt that you can throw on the floor and lay the baby on. I made it out of flannel because it is so soft. I made one for my granddaughter and most of her pictures of her first year were on that quilt.

Sophie2 05-09-2011 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by honeybee_2000
I was curious if the whole quilt including back and front could be quilted. I cant seem to keep warm in the winter the older I get..lol

I have made a number of flannel quilts - front and back and have not trouble machine quilting them. I have done stitch in the ditch and stippling. Works fine.

grammysharon 05-09-2011 06:46 AM

I have the fabric to make a flannel throw quilt for myself. It is the most beautiful print, I can hardly wait! The "new" flannels are better quality than they use to be, they don't seem to shrink as much!! :D

Sophie2 05-09-2011 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by jljquilter
You're right. They are nice in Wisconsin. I have made two Queen size and numerous lap size flannel quilts. Tops and backs are all flannel. They were hand quilted (outline).
I am wondering if anyone has washed a finished queen size flannel quilt? I'm sure that my washer and dryer are not up to the challenge but I hate to think about a laundromat. I have washed lap size ones and they seem to do fine.

I have made a couple queen size flannel quilts and have no trouble washing and drying them at home. I do have a front loader washer - not sure if it is bigger an a top loader or not. When drying I check it often, pull the quilt out to make sure the inner parts get dry and clean the lint trap. Really have no problems with the washing and drying. I do pre-wash all the fabric.