Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flying geese, how do YOU make yours? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flying-geese-how-do-you-make-yours-t167204.html)

Michellesews 11-09-2011 05:01 AM

Flying geese, how do YOU make yours?

I am working on the the Pink Lemonaide quilt by Eleanor burns and it seems the entire quilt is made up of flying geese, 96 of them!!! I dicided I would do something totally out of character this time, and follow the instructions in the book exactly. Well, some of you may know that Eleanor makes her flying geese by cutting a square 9" and another 7.5", etc. etc. It seems very labor intensive to me but being one who has avoided flying geese whenever she could...I would LOVE to know opinions of the seasoned quilters out there and which method of making flying geese seems the most accurate and fastest to them. Thanks in advance for all your opinions, I really want to know this! This will not be the last time I face a flock of flying geese, and next time I want to be ready!
Michelle

Zephyr 11-09-2011 05:04 AM

I made my flying geese by the Ricky Timms method called One Seam Flying Geese. I think you can Google that. I'd put a picture on but not sure how to do it in this new format. That flying geese is super easy and fun to make.

gsbuffalo 11-09-2011 05:24 AM

I use eleanor burns methods. quick and easy for me but then again I do not make many.

Nana2Sew 11-09-2011 05:44 AM

I use the Flying Geese ruler from Quilt in a Day........works for me!

gramarraine 11-09-2011 05:48 AM

Quilt in a Day method is a great method. I have her rulers and that makes it super easy. I am not sure about making them by this method if you don't have her rulers.

QuiltnNan 11-09-2011 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by gsbuffalo (Post 4656009)
I use eleanor burns methods. quick and easy for me but then again I do not make many.

ditto here :)

Rose Marie 11-09-2011 06:14 AM

I have all her geese rulers and love her method for 4 geese at a time and they come out perfect.
The rulers are at Joanns so use coupons to buy them.
It is a unique method and takes just a few times to get used to doing.

luvstoquilt 11-09-2011 06:47 AM

I am reading this with interest because I am about to start a quilt with geese!

blueangel 11-09-2011 06:52 AM

If youhave the rulers they are easy.

thepolyparrot 11-09-2011 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie (Post 4656314)
I have all her geese rulers and love her method for 4 geese at a time and they come out perfect.

I love these, too. It seems like they take a long time compared to some other methods, but really, I think that the time it saves to have all your geese come out the same makes this even out.

I've got a quilt in the plans that needs 100 8-pointed stars - 400 flying geese! I won't even think of doing them any other way. I like the precision and the ease too much. :D