Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   folds in quilt after I got it back from LAQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/folds-quilt-after-i-got-back-laq-t195581.html)

Tartan 07-24-2012 05:52 PM

At this point, you can either add appliqués or stitch down the creases with matching thread as others have mentioned. I know that LA cannot perform miracles but if it was me, I would have appreciated a call to let me fix it before it was quilted down. The LA should have been able to see the problem as the quilt was loaded?

Ruby the Quilter 07-24-2012 07:03 PM

I only do LA quilting for me. The one time I had my borders wavy (before I knew the right way to measure for borders) I didn't notice it until I about 1/4 of the quilting done. Not sure you would know it when it is loaded on the frame.

MamaHen 07-25-2012 02:57 AM

I have had two come in that the borders were wavy, and of course it didn't show until I was almost done. I won't do it anymore, but I took those borders off and fixed them, (charged extra of course) took pictures of the before, and after showing why I had to do it, along with the extra fabric back to them. I explained to them the correct way of measuring for borders, hopefully they got it.

duckydo 07-25-2012 04:16 AM

This is a sticky situation,, as a LA quilter, you sure don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, but anyone bringing a quilt to you needs to know just what you expect from the quilter... A check list would be good... I have done several for a friend that does not get her borders flat.. A LA can only do so much.. Bonnie Hunter has a wonder site that covers how to get your borders to lay flat... quiltville.com Sorry that happened to you.

Latrinka 07-25-2012 04:36 AM

Working on my first quilt that is going out to LAQ. Making me nervous!

redeagle 07-25-2012 04:38 AM

I used to have wavy borders even tho I measured across the center. I now cut my borders lengthwise of the fabric instead of crosswise and my borders hang straight.

matraina 07-25-2012 05:23 AM

I agree with annthreecats. The LA should have communicated with the customer.

pamesue 07-25-2012 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Latrinka (Post 5392507)
Working on my first quilt that is going out to LAQ. Making me nervous!

don't be nervous....just check your borders before you send it off. I always use the same 2 LA ladies and they do wonderful work. I had one quilt that would not lay right on the frame due to waves...this was a nightmare quilt. She gave back to me to fix...and it is still in a wadded up mess in the corner...don't know that I will ever fix this thing.

Scakes 07-25-2012 06:09 AM

I've never used a LA quilter before - never really had the extra money to pay them. Maybe someday. :-)

I do have a question tho. I always thought you quilted the quilt before putting the borders on. Do most people do the borders first?

QuiltE 07-25-2012 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Scakes (Post 5392729)
I've never used a LA quilter before - never really had the extra money to pay them. Maybe someday. :-)

I do have a question tho. I always thought you quilted the quilt before putting the borders on. Do most people do the borders first?

Yes, you assemble the quilt fully, including borders.
The process is really no different than if you are hand quilting, using a DSM or LAQ.

Once the quilting is completed, then you do your binding.
Again, just the same as with the other types of quilting.