Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Freezer Paper-hard to find in Canada? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/freezer-paper-hard-find-canada-t188550.html)

Peckish 05-10-2012 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom (Post 5207134)
I remember the good old days when "wax paper" was WAX paper.

Except it still IS wax paper. Wax paper and freezer paper are two different things. And parchment paper, too. You can't substitute wax paper for parchment!

EasyPeezy 05-10-2012 07:38 AM

I got mine from Home Hardware. If you can't find it, ask them and they will special order it for you.

loveybegonia 05-10-2012 08:15 AM

I'm new to this. Just what do you use it for in quilting?

sewingforsanity 05-10-2012 08:45 AM

I just bought Freezer Paper at Walmart. It wasn't with the aluminum foil and plastic wrap..but down from that a little way and on the bottom shelf. I paid $5 for 150 sq.ft. of the stuff and made my first quilt label with it yesterday!

Gail B 05-10-2012 09:32 AM

Freezer paper is readily available in Edmonton - grocery stores, Costco, Walmart.

Peckish 05-10-2012 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by loveybegonia (Post 5207317)
I'm new to this. Just what do you use it for in quilting?

The great thing about freezer paper is that the shiny coating will stick to fabric when you iron it. So, I use it for pattern pieces in garment sewing: I copy the pattern onto freezer paper, then iron the freezer paper onto the fabric. I don't have to pin the fabric when I cut it out, and the freezer paper lasts longer than tissue.

I also use freezer paper for templates when appliqueing. I cut out 2 mirror-image templates from the freezer paper and glue them together so the shiny sides are out. Then iron the templates onto the fabrics, cut the pieces out (don't forget to add 1/4" seam allowance), and with an iron and a little bit of starch, prepare the applique by applying a small amount of starch on the fabric, fold over the seam allowance and press it onto the back of the freezer paper template. The freezer paper on the back will hold onto the fabric until it is set by the iron and starch.

I have a box of parchment paper in my sewing room also; I use it as a pressing sheet for applique (freezer paper won't stick to it) and it protects my iron and board from fusible web.

Prism99 05-10-2012 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5207008)
<--- I've used it, but not been "excited" over it! I iron it on ... but it just doesn't stay put for long, so I've been wondering if our freezer paper doesn't have as much wax on it as what the USA Quilters get?

What brand is it? I've read in the past that brands other than Reynolds may not work as well.

phranny 05-10-2012 12:35 PM

I had that experience recently as well. I did finally find some, at the Zehr's grocery chain. Do you have one of those in your area?

Quiltbaby 05-10-2012 12:38 PM

Just go to any large grocery store in the states and you will find the freezer paper. That is so funny, I just bought a roll Monday for $3.53.

Hope this helps.

Quiltbaby

quilter1 05-10-2012 12:38 PM

The last time I bought it was in Metro, in the waxed paper and foil aisle.