Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone bought one of these or even seen them? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-bought-one-these-even-seen-them-t182515.html)

joycet 03-13-2012 07:47 PM

Simplicity cutter

I hope you can get yours to work. I have one and hate it. I s hould have returned it and got my money back. I couldn't get it to cut straight.......IT was just a mess. I thought it would be wonderful especially cutting 21/2" strips. What a joke. It weaved and wobbled so badly I had to use the strips I made in my mile a minute quite..certainly couldn't use it for anything else. Maybe you can get yours to work correctly. hugs joycet

BizyStitches 03-13-2012 08:46 PM

I bought one, and took it back within an hour. It wouldn't cut the fabric at all. I asked them to demo it for me and it wouldn't even work for the lady that was trying to show me. Not worth the money.

so-sew 03-14-2012 03:33 AM

I would hesitate before buying anything that brand....but that's just me. :)

bhenson 03-14-2012 04:13 AM

I had the same problems until I started ironing freezer paper to the back of my fabric. It works fine with this method. The stiffness the freezer paper provides makes all the difference.

craftybear 03-14-2012 04:17 AM

have fun with your new machine, let us know if you like it

Originally Posted by twinkie (Post 5055704)
DH always reads the instructions on anything new (I am not that precise) and he adjusted the tension for me. It cuts just fine and I think you have to play with it to learn how to guide the material in the groove. Mine works much better if I have the machine sideways so I can feed the fabric in (somewhat how a sewing machine works). It reminded me of learning how to sew a 1/4" seam accurately. I don't think I am going to return it just yet. I was able to get some pretty accurate strips with it. I am sure it would be great for scrapbooking also. Thanks for all the reviews from you ladies.

twinkie 03-14-2012 05:16 AM

What a great idea! I would have never thought of it but it sure makes sense. I have severe arthritis in my hands and cutting with a rotary cutter is painful. I do it all the time, but I even have pain while I am typing. Thanks again for the innovative clue.

Originally Posted by bhenson (Post 5058879)
I had the same problems until I started ironing freezer paper to the back of my fabric. It works fine with this method. The stiffness the freezer paper provides makes all the difference.

SewinSue 03-14-2012 05:45 AM

Too bad you didn't ask BEFORE buying it. It is a waste of money for sure. No matter how careful and slow that you go the strips are never straight. Ok for some things as mentioned before but for jelly rolls or any strip that must be straight it is just hopeless. I had one for a couple of months and practiced and practiced and it just would never cut the strips perfectly straight. Surprised they haven't taken it off the market. SewinSue

misseva 03-14-2012 06:44 AM

I've looked at this but didn't like the fact that you could only go up to 2-3/4" strip. I have the Go! cutter and have dies for 1" up to 3" now.

twinkie 03-14-2012 06:55 AM

That's strange and I only did 4 practice strips and it was cutting so good I know I can make it work for me. And, with the freezer paper clue, I am really excited about this machine. I will be able to make all the strips I need. I am glad I bought it. I don't like to give up on anything if I think I can make it work. IMHO. However, you do have to adjust the tension tighter than you would normally think. The instructions tell you it cuts by pressure not sharpness which would eliminate the necessity for new blades. And, with Wal Mart's return policy, there was not a problem with trying it out and then returning it if it didn't work. But I think I will keep it.

Originally Posted by SewinSue (Post 5059162)
Too bad you didn't ask BEFORE buying it. It is a waste of money for sure. No matter how careful and slow that you go the strips are never straight. Ok for some things as mentioned before but for jelly rolls or any strip that must be straight it is just hopeless. I had one for a couple of months and practiced and practiced and it just would never cut the strips perfectly straight. Surprised they haven't taken it off the market. SewinSue

athenascooter 03-14-2012 09:03 AM

I have a friend that has this brand and doesn't like it at all. I have accuquilt and does another friend and we both love ours. If you watch Hancock and JoAnns has them on sale. Also the web site has them on sale. I ordered mine on the web and received a letter to get a per cent off my next order and also buy one get one free. So try checking on their web site