Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Has anyone used Annies soft and stable for (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/has-anyone-used-annies-soft-stable-t267464.html)

citruscountyquilter 07-13-2015 03:14 AM

I love Soft and Stable and have made quilted slippers using it. It comes in various sizes so plan carefully how much you will need as it is rather pricey. I got mine on Amazon which carries all the different size rolls. I have also found it in some quilt shops. It gives more body than fusible fleece and a lot more structure than batting. It does not have a grain to it so you can cut your pieces out in the least wasteful position. I have never joined it so don't know how that would work. I have also used it for place mats when I wanted extra body.

Bonnie K 07-13-2015 03:40 AM

I used Soft and Stable in a large bag that I made about three years ago. It is wonderful. The bag stands up without collapsing and is very light weight. The only thing that I didn't care for was quilting it. I quilted it on my home sewing machine and it was difficult to get through. Other than that, it was easy to sew and the seams weren't bulky.

wbfrog 07-13-2015 03:54 AM

Hi, Sewbeadit
Yes, I tried it took a class a year ago at Nancy Notions Sewing Weekend and we did the round robin and our project was a tote bag and the kit had "Soft and Stable", I personally did not like it. You may like it give it a try I see many tutorials on youtube that use the product to make tote bags/hand bags. Give it a try it depends on what you like working with to get the best look you desire.

kuntryquilter 07-13-2015 04:34 AM

I have not made a purse with it, but I plan to. I have used it to insulate water bottle covers.

sewwhat85 07-13-2015 05:34 AM

it is the best stuff in the world. I can not say enough good about it. Easy to work with, holds up well, looks great, does not add weight to the bag.

Sandygirl 07-13-2015 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by imsewnso (Post 7253725)
Great Stuff...would not make a purse without it.

It is the Gold standard in purse making. Excellent product!
sandy

onemoe 07-13-2015 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit (Post 7253650)
bags and or purses? It sounds wonderful, I am wondering how long it looks nice in a bag that is being used and how easy it is to use. The information I read and the video I saw makes it look like really good stuff. I would have to order it at Joann's or her shop so need some input on it.

I have used it and like it very much

VaQuiltgal 07-13-2015 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by LilaKay (Post 7254531)
I use headliner fabric. Hancock's or Joann's both carry it. It's a lighter weight but a lot cheaper and holds up well....

I used headliner for the tote in Block magazine. Worked great. I also cut a little piece, sewed it btween 2 fabric scraps and threw it in the washer & drier. Came out fine.

Lyncat 07-13-2015 05:41 AM

It's the best stabilizer for bags! I like the sew in type better than the fusible. I had some issues with wrinkles and peeled the fabric from the fusible after I had partially sewn the bag together.

rjwilder 07-13-2015 05:44 AM

I have used both Soft and Stable and the headliner fabric at JoAnn's. I like them both and honestly can't tell the difference between the two. I've made a lot of tote bags and don't remember which ones have which product. JoAnn's is a lot less money especially if you have a coupon, and it's always available. Annie's you have to order and pay shipping.