Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Have you ever used a quilt as a tablecloth? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/have-you-ever-used-quilt-tablecloth-t112281.html)

grammy17 04-01-2011 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by toomanycats
yes. some have made just for the table. I use a large piece of heavy plastic that you buy off the bolt at the fabric store over the top so if something is spilled won't stain it.

Me too. I did a top for Thanksgiving and one for Christmas. Never did get them quilted just put the batting on the table then the top then the plastic.

serenitybygrace 04-01-2011 05:30 PM

My grandmother made a Texas Star tablecloth for me in reds for my round dining table. She left the star points as the "hem". I put a floor length red felt cloth under it and of course plastic over the top if it was ever used. I loved it. Serenitybygrace

MaryAnna 04-01-2011 05:47 PM

Yes, I make extra large & regular sized table toppers, fully quilted, and they are my tablecloths. I find they also keep the heat from serviceware (bowls & plates) off of your wood table. I make more table toppers than bed quilts.
Blessings,
MaryAnna

Pieceful Quilter 04-01-2011 06:55 PM

Yup!

Karen Duncan 04-01-2011 06:59 PM

we use a quilt or tabletopper on the table. It lends personality to the dining room and lets us enjoy a different piece each week...

breezy 04-01-2011 09:32 PM

that's exactly what i do, i have a very old dresden fan in 1930's prints that i bought at an estate sale. just love it! heavy clear vinyl over it!

spiffy 04-02-2011 01:04 AM

When I made my first on point watercolor wall hanging, I didn't alternate sewing the rows and I could never get it to hang straight.

I use it as a tablecloth on a coffee table and I've covered it with a glass top that was cut to fit that table. It looks great and I always get a lot of compliments on the beautiful colors of the quilt top.

carolaug 04-02-2011 01:30 AM

If you have a tablecloth already, just use that as the pattern. I think this is a great idea...I am going to make a flower table quilt next...I love how its always on display. Easy to wash and will look wonderful!

Originally Posted by Jo M
I've always wanted to, but needed a round one and didn't know what pattern to use. Would love to see the one you made, Suzanne. Great idea using the felt.

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
Yes I made a round one that is revesible. I put felt on the inside and it works real good. Don't have to use hot pad that way.

ckcowl 04-02-2011 01:34 AM

i have made many--special picnic ones, ones my daughter requested- ones her mother inlaw asked for- yup- just table toppers on a bigger scale :thumbup:

loreen 04-02-2011 04:34 AM

I have made & used quilts for table cloths as well as floor cloths. They are the best. Wash & dry them put them back on the floor. They absorb the wet snow & rain great.