Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   HELP WITH HIDEOUS YELLOW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-hideous-yellow-t124032.html)

mrsmlm 05-19-2011 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I would stay with the marbles, not adding any florals or prints at all. And, in my opinion, beige and/or brown would just look like mud with those brights.

I'd go with the same dark blue as sashing then a narrow border of the light blue and a wide border of the dark blue again. Another obvious choice is a black marble in one wide border with the dark blue as sashing. The blue will balance the yellow without making it look sickly (or sickening).

I actually like the colors. :oops:

I agree with the above comment. I think black would set it off beautifully!

shnnn 05-19-2011 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by mrsmlm

Originally Posted by ghostrider
I would stay with the marbles, not adding any florals or prints at all. And, in my opinion, beige and/or brown would just look like mud with those brights.

I'd go with the same dark blue as sashing then a narrow border of the light blue and a wide border of the dark blue again. Another obvious choice is a black marble in one wide border with the dark blue as sashing. The blue will balance the yellow without making it look sickly (or sickening).

I actually like the colors. :oops:

I agree with the above comment. I think black would set it off beautifully!

Where she doesn't like the yellow wouldn't a lighter color (same value) help tone it - where as a dark color would make it pop out at you more?

quilttiludrop 05-19-2011 12:15 PM

A good balance is all that's needed. If you don't like the yellow, use a different color for sashing and/or borders.

barbrdunn 05-19-2011 12:51 PM

I think I would do the sashing and inner border with the dark blue and a larger outer border of the light blue. Then maybe bind in the green.

quilter1430 05-19-2011 12:54 PM

I think black sashing would tone down the yellow and then it would look more Amish.

dinlauren 05-19-2011 12:55 PM

Try laying out your blocks on different fabrics...prints, geometrics, black.......see which gives the effect you are going for.

Linda1 05-19-2011 01:07 PM

I bought those same blocks off Ebay but haven't made them yet. I will be watching this post.

teacherbailey 05-19-2011 01:09 PM

I love the yellow, and would use black to surround it. Then if you still don't like it, give it away to a baby without a quilt....

grandjan 05-19-2011 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Joyce, I bought a batch of those blocks on sale after they discontinued them. Like you, I couldn't hack that yellow on it's own so I made other blocks using some prints and other fabrics to quiet it down a bit. Here's the result.

grandjan 05-19-2011 01:54 PM

I should add that I used some of those prints in one or two of the "original" blocks to sort of pull the thing together.