Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Help Me Decide..... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/help-me-decide-t129932.html)

Debd 06-13-2011 03:47 AM

I have a smaller space (9' x 7'), but it is on the main floor, right next to the kitchen so I can keep an ear on dinner and when I had kids at home they could work on homework nearby. I like being near the action! But if you like to be secluded, the basement room seems ideal! Space is not to be sneezed at!

katyquilter 06-13-2011 03:54 AM

I definitely think you would miss the natural light.

Just Jan 06-13-2011 03:57 AM

Any chance of moving another bedroom to the basement instead, and taking that room over for additional quilting space? IE: Two adjoinging or adjacent rooms for your sewing and supplies? That's what I did. I have stash storage and batting and a large sandwiching/cutting table in one room and my machines, pressing area, and a smaller cutting area in the main room. It works out great.

mjsylvstr 06-13-2011 04:03 AM

Lori, I'm 77 and my room is on the 2nd floor and I do those steps so much I try not to think about it..

BUT.......I look at it this way. The one old and the one new knees need the exercise.......lololol ........ as does the rest of the body.

I get too stiff if I sit in place too long, so the stairs are my jogging track.

When I PP, I get up from the machine and go to the ironiing board and back to the cutting table........
they are not far but those few steps each time, help to keep the joints oiled.

laalaaquilter 06-13-2011 04:07 AM

Move stuff you need downstairs, but not the sewing machines or design wall. That way you don't have to paint, you still get the natural light, and you get the exercise of going up and down the stairs often instead of sitting a lot. ;-)

grann of 6 06-13-2011 04:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Okay. I am going to throw in some ideas. I moved my sewing room to the basement to become a sewing studio several years ago. I fulfilled a lifelong dream of mine. Now, I live alone with 2 large dogs, so I can be wherever I want. I had my basement finished off into a dream studio. I don't miss the sunlight; am too busy creating. I have lots of pot lights in the ceiling. I moved to this house to be done with stairs, but decided I wanted more sewing space. I will be 70 next month and my exercise is going up and down the stairs. I have posted pics before, but if you want I can post them again. I have just turned the GKs sleepover room into a quilting room with the new long arm quilting machine in there. If I need some light I just go upstairs and look out the window. As far as the permanence of the situation, that has to be your decision.

looking east
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210773[/ATTACH]

looking west
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210774[/ATTACH]

sewing area
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210775[/ATTACH]

LadyCougar 06-13-2011 04:41 AM

I love the natural light - I'm in the basement with my sewing, and let me tell you I'd kill for natural light. I say stay put, and use the other room for storing fabric. Build your stash LOL.

girlsfour 06-13-2011 04:48 AM

Looks like if your family regularly uses your basement then move down there.

I personally like to be near windows. I don't feel so isolated!

Good luck!

matraina 06-13-2011 05:22 AM

Frankly, I like your current room. It's bright and cheery and you get natural light. It's nice to look out the window, too. I agree with everyone who said you could store your overload down in the basement.

luvstoquilt 06-13-2011 05:23 AM

I have a great basement sewing room but hate the light and lug my machine, fabric, tools up to my breakfast room to sew. I am about to turn a guest room into a sewing room and leave the basement area. So, I wouldn't leave that adorable studio and go downstairs!