Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hiding Fabric Purchases (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hiding-fabric-purchases-t142352.html)

DogHouseMom 08-03-2011 12:39 PM

I used to hide my purchases, but little by little my DH has shown more and more encouragement in my hobby. He bought me an Oliso iron, made my big board (after MANY head-aches), made me two "basting boards" the other day (so I could baste the Sharon Schambers method) then watched what I did with the boards, and he repeatedly tells me I need to re-organize the room and make suggestions for doing it. Oh ... he even bought me an embroidery machine recently, I didn't even ask for one! Heck ... he even picked out the fabric (from my stash) for the beach bag I made for us.

So, I no longer have a need to hide stash. Now I show him the pretties I bought and tell him my plans for it. Most of time he fakes paying attention ;)

AbbyQuilts 08-03-2011 01:25 PM

When I first start quilting I sometimes hid what I brought home. My mom was a great enabler as I didnt drive.
The reasons were simple I have a TON of hobbies and I go crazy when I start one only to give it up after a few months. I know this Dh knows this.

Now that I have stuck with quilting for a few years and produced some quilts hubby is not so bad anymore.
Most months we both get 50$ free money this is money that we spend on what ever we want. Hubby reminded me that last month I spent 70$ plus I sent 40$ to a friend that was in a bind lol. So I have to rein in the spending.

He also has to take me fabric shopping which he HATES but he has done it lol

JUNEC 08-03-2011 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
I just read this to my hubby.. He wondered why you all would have to hide it?? ... I bring my purchases in, sometimes Ill have him go get it from the car.. He teases the amount of fabric I have ( literally 3 walls and a walk in closet full) but thats about it..

OK, so I am jealous that he is so understanding. But when 2 or 3 packages come to the house every few days or so, THEY GET HIDDEN!!!!!!!

JUNEC 08-03-2011 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by QUILTNMO
my hubby is very supportive he nevers says anything when i bring home fabric

How much do you bring home?

bearisgray 08-03-2011 02:23 PM

You are not the only one.

debbieumphress 08-03-2011 02:26 PM

I don't hide mine and don't think he even notices. I am always bringing in boxes and packages of fabrics for my charities and such. YOu just never know where it comes from .LOL. He does see my sewing room so he has to know. Oh well, it does sound fun to sneak things in and hide them. lol

JulieR 08-03-2011 02:30 PM

My husband is my enabler. If he had his way I'd just buy out the quilt store and be done.

Stitchnripper 08-03-2011 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by BigDog
Are you hiding purchases because he would be displeased or because you want the thrill of opening them at leisure?

I guess I just don't understand the thrill of hoarding. I buy what I want to use and I use it. And for sure with 100% certainty, I would never stay married to someone I had to hide stuff from.

But that's just me.

Well, that's me too.

:) :)

SuziC 08-03-2011 02:54 PM

I used to hide my purchases but only due to guilt of spending. I got over that years ago....My DH is a bow hunter and you cannot believe how much "stuff" you just "have to have" when the season comes around. So NO i don't hide my fabric at all. In fact now i show him every new piece and he says "that's great fabic, what are you going to make with that?" We have an understanding about our hobbies LOL it has worked for over 25 yrs!!!!!

Dolphyngyrl 08-03-2011 02:57 PM

When I buy, I buy with my money so I don't really consult him about my purchases. He has made a few comments but I am the primary breadwinner so he really can't say much. Every once in while i might hide it so i don't hear the comments, but thats more about the comments and not the hiding cause i am spending