Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiding Fabric Purchases

Just curious on how many of you hide your fabric purchases from your DH's?

We are retired & I really don't like going out myself, so I usually go with someone - mainly DH - who can for some reason -spend hours in any golf store - but not very good when he goes to a fabric store.

I find that purchasing fabric online is easier for me & great fun. However, I just started to organize a sewing room. I can't believe how much fabric I have found & refell in love with since taking it out of the plastic totes, refolding it and putting it on shelves - in my closet

However, that doesn't mean I have stop buying fabric. My challenge now is to beat my DH to the door when the mailman drops off the mail & hide my precious packages (to be opened at a later time) Sometimes, I feel like I am 13 again & trying to hide something I did wrong from my parents.

But there is nothing like the fabric high I get when I open a package that has been delivered from an online fabric store.

LOVE IT!!!!!!

saf
    ahh...a fellow conspirator..... :lol:

So I really am not alone!!! My one friend laughs at me when I do this! I don't think my hubby would be upset but I don't want to see the eye roll! That 'more' look!!!!

Are you hiding purchases because he would be displeased or because you want the thrill of opening them at leisure?

I guess I just don't understand the thrill of hoarding. I buy what I want to use and I use it. And for sure with 100% certainty, I would never stay married to someone I had to hide stuff from.

But that's just me.

Been there, done that. LOL

are you spending your money or his? If yours, why are you hiding what you buy? The 1950's ended a long time ago, lol...

I don't have a hubby to "hide" from, but if my children catch me fondling a fabric unfamiliar to them, I do get an accusatory "Is that new?"

So I have resorted to my best friend's methodology when it comes to shoes. She buys them (she has a shoe problem) but leaves the box at the store so there's no evidence in the garbage when she gets home. Then she puts them on her shelf for about a week before she brings them out again or wears them. So, when her hubby asks "Are those new?" she can honestly answer, "No, they've been on my shelf for a while." I now do the same with my purchases. I put the new stuff in the bin right away so when they catch me going through it a week or so later, I can honestly answer, "Nope, just got it out of the bin."

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I just read this to my hubby.. He wondered why you all would have to hide it?? ... I bring my purchases in, sometimes Ill have him go get it from the car.. He teases the amount of fabric I have ( literally 3 walls and a walk in closet full) but thats about it..

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    dagnabit.. double post.. sorry..

Blog Entries
    My DH has never said anything about me buying fabric-he knows it is the one think in life I REALLY love and get excited about and has seen the many beautiful quilts I have made over the years, so I guess I am lucky. However, he hates coming with me shopping for fabric (I don't drive here, so he has to take me)-so he usually drops me off and finds something else to do-he texts me when he is on his way back to pick me up and usually still has to wait). Besides, it is mostly my money that supports us (my restaurant) so he hasn't room to talk. I have never felt the need to hide fabric purchases from him-I do the opposite-show him every bit, even though he really isn't interested!

i love fabric shopping too but i do not hide the purchases from my husband.

our relationship is built on trust and hiding anything from each other would be a violation of that foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by KGoodhand
    So I really am not alone!!! My one friend laughs at me when I do this! I don't think my hubby would be upset but I don't want to see the eye roll! That 'more' look!!!!
    That's what it is with me. I don't want to deal with the "do you really need more fabric?" discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by charity-crafter
    That's what it is with me. I don't want to deal with the "do you really need more fabric?" discussion.
    I don't hide it. My DH supports my hobby. Unfortunately on occassion, I do get that look. To which I respond I see you got another shipment of tractor parts. The look disappears quickly. :lol: He has his hobby and I have mine. As long as we both support each other we're happy.

My Husband doesn't care but, I don't bombbard him at the door with my online purchases either.

Quote Originally Posted by charity-crafter
    I go through the same thing. I grew up with a dad that rolls his eyes, and this DH too. I do it, because I know "I can" and I rather enjoy it without the critizims(sp). And yes it is my money, but I know what would be said if he knew it was newly purchased fabric or quilty things. When we go on trips anymore, I don't even plan to go quilt shop hoppin', it isn't fun anymore.........I would rather enjoy it when I make the trip myself or with friends.

Power Poster
    my hubby is very supportive he nevers says anything when i bring home fabric

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by saf
    ahh...a fellow conspirator..... :lol:
    Hahaha!! There are quite a few of us on here...enablers, fellow conspirators...whatever you want to call us. We all have similar issues to one degree or another!! :-)

My DH always gets the mail & packages before me...he works nights, I work days. His comment as soon as I get home "What did you get this time?" LOL I just say, "Not sure...let's open it up and see!" He laughs that I am "not sure" what's in the package.

ROFL...that is so funny

Blog Entries
    i am so saddened by people who feel the need to hide their purchases- regardless if it's fabric or anything else. i guess i have been lucky to have a good open relationship with my husband and would never think of buying something i felt i needed to hide--except of course- gifts---
    i find it very distressing to read of people who have to be sneaky in their own homes

I have my purchases mailed to my work, as DH is at home and sees all the mail before I do.

I used to hide my purchases, but little by little my DH has shown more and more encouragement in my hobby. He bought me an Oliso iron, made my big board (after MANY head-aches), made me two "basting boards" the other day (so I could baste the Sharon Schambers method) then watched what I did with the boards, and he repeatedly tells me I need to re-organize the room and make suggestions for doing it. Oh ... he even bought me an embroidery machine recently, I didn't even ask for one! Heck ... he even picked out the fabric (from my stash) for the beach bag I made for us.

So, I no longer have a need to hide stash. Now I show him the pretties I bought and tell him my plans for it. Most of time he fakes paying attention ;)

Blog Entries
    When I first start quilting I sometimes hid what I brought home. My mom was a great enabler as I didnt drive.
    The reasons were simple I have a TON of hobbies and I go crazy when I start one only to give it up after a few months. I know this Dh knows this.

Now that I have stuck with quilting for a few years and produced some quilts hubby is not so bad anymore.
    Most months we both get 50$ free money this is money that we spend on what ever we want. Hubby reminded me that last month I spent 70$ plus I sent 40$ to a friend that was in a bind lol. So I have to rein in the spending.

He also has to take me fabric shopping which he HATES but he has done it lol

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    I just read this to my hubby.. He wondered why you all would have to hide it?? ... I bring my purchases in, sometimes Ill have him go get it from the car.. He teases the amount of fabric I have ( literally 3 walls and a walk in closet full) but thats about it..
    OK, so I am jealous that he is so understanding. But when 2 or 3 packages come to the house every few days or so, THEY GET HIDDEN!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by QUILTNMO
    my hubby is very supportive he nevers says anything when i bring home fabric
    How much do you bring home?

Power Poster
    You are not the only one.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast