Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Hiding Fabric Purchases (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/hiding-fabric-purchases-t142352.html)

JUNEC 08-03-2011 11:08 AM

Just curious on how many of you hide your fabric purchases from your DH's?

We are retired & I really don't like going out myself, so I usually go with someone - mainly DH - who can for some reason -spend hours in any golf store - but not very good when he goes to a fabric store.

I find that purchasing fabric online is easier for me & great fun. However, I just started to organize a sewing room. I can't believe how much fabric I have found & refell in love with since taking it out of the plastic totes, refolding it and putting it on shelves - in my closet

However, that doesn't mean I have stop buying fabric. My challenge now is to beat my DH to the door when the mailman drops off the mail & hide my precious packages (to be opened at a later time) Sometimes, I feel like I am 13 again & trying to hide something I did wrong from my parents.

But there is nothing like the fabric high I get when I open a package that has been delivered from an online fabric store.

LOVE IT!!!!!!

saf 08-03-2011 11:10 AM

ahh...a fellow conspirator..... :lol:

KGoodhand 08-03-2011 11:15 AM

So I really am not alone!!! My one friend laughs at me when I do this! I don't think my hubby would be upset but I don't want to see the eye roll! That 'more' look!!!!

BigDog 08-03-2011 11:15 AM

Are you hiding purchases because he would be displeased or because you want the thrill of opening them at leisure?

I guess I just don't understand the thrill of hoarding. I buy what I want to use and I use it. And for sure with 100% certainty, I would never stay married to someone I had to hide stuff from.

But that's just me.

pocoellie 08-03-2011 11:25 AM

Been there, done that. LOL

ptquilts 08-03-2011 11:26 AM

are you spending your money or his? If yours, why are you hiding what you buy? The 1950's ended a long time ago, lol...

Becka 08-03-2011 11:28 AM

I don't have a hubby to "hide" from, but if my children catch me fondling a fabric unfamiliar to them, I do get an accusatory "Is that new?"

So I have resorted to my best friend's methodology when it comes to shoes. She buys them (she has a shoe problem) but leaves the box at the store so there's no evidence in the garbage when she gets home. Then she puts them on her shelf for about a week before she brings them out again or wears them. So, when her hubby asks "Are those new?" she can honestly answer, "No, they've been on my shelf for a while." I now do the same with my purchases. I put the new stuff in the bin right away so when they catch me going through it a week or so later, I can honestly answer, "Nope, just got it out of the bin."

luvTooQuilt 08-03-2011 11:32 AM

I just read this to my hubby.. He wondered why you all would have to hide it?? ... I bring my purchases in, sometimes Ill have him go get it from the car.. He teases the amount of fabric I have ( literally 3 walls and a walk in closet full) but thats about it..

luvTooQuilt 08-03-2011 11:32 AM

dagnabit.. double post.. sorry..

Vanuatu Jill 08-03-2011 11:32 AM

My DH has never said anything about me buying fabric-he knows it is the one think in life I REALLY love and get excited about and has seen the many beautiful quilts I have made over the years, so I guess I am lucky. However, he hates coming with me shopping for fabric (I don't drive here, so he has to take me)-so he usually drops me off and finds something else to do-he texts me when he is on his way back to pick me up and usually still has to wait). Besides, it is mostly my money that supports us (my restaurant) so he hasn't room to talk. I have never felt the need to hide fabric purchases from him-I do the opposite-show him every bit, even though he really isn't interested!