Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Hiding Fabric Purchases >

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Hiding Fabric Purchases

Old 08-19-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Originally Posted by BigDog
Are you hiding purchases because he would be displeased or because you want the thrill of opening them at leisure?

I guess I just don't understand the thrill of hoarding. I buy what I want to use and I use it. And for sure with 100% certainty, I would never stay married to someone I had to hide stuff from.

But that's just me.
OMG - I wish I was born with your "buy only what you need" genes - unfortunately I am a second generation hoarder with a tad of depression mixed in- I love fabric - I love the smell of it, the bright colors and beautiful patterns - they make me feel happy - & a better alternative to taking anti depression meds.

To to quite honest -I have a good marriage, we will be married 37 yrs August 10th - he is not only my husband, but my best friend as well - that being said - I really don't want my bubble burst with a "What did you buy now?" or "What's in all the boxes that came in the mail?"- a couple of large flat rate boxes stacked at the door - will be hid - sometimes!!

Yes, he plays golf - I play with fabric

Some of us are 'method quilters'. We buy just what we need, we make our quilt and job jobbed. Others of us use fabric as our paint pallet continuously mixing colours and textures for a special effect. Some of us use the experience to fill a void - that's me. I'm now packing my stash into 'kits' ready to sew and 'stocktaking' as I go. I'm hoping that this will make me a 'method quilter'.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by leiladylei54
With my huge stash, I'm surprised my hubby doesn't say a word. But I do feel guilty. LOL I ran into a woman at a fabric store and she was with her mother. Somehow the conversation started and she admitted that she had so much fabric at her home that she has been using her mother's home for more of her stash. And her mother quipped in, "there's no more room in my house for anymore of her daughter's fabric now." Now that's a LOT of fabric.
I like it!!!!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 AM

Location: Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground

Originally Posted by JUNEC
Just curious on how many of you hide your fabric purchases from your DH's?

We are retired & I really don't like going out myself, so I usually go with someone - mainly DH - who can for some reason -spend hours in any golf store - but not very good when he goes to a fabric store.

I find that purchasing fabric online is easier for me & great fun. However, I just started to organize a sewing room. I can't believe how much fabric I have found & refell in love with since taking it out of the plastic totes, refolding it and putting it on shelves - in my closet

However, that doesn't mean I have stop buying fabric. My challenge now is to beat my DH to the door when the mailman drops off the mail & hide my precious packages (to be opened at a later time) Sometimes, I feel like I am 13 again & trying to hide something I did wrong from my parents.

But there is nothing like the fabric high I get when I open a package that has been delivered from an online fabric store.

LOVE IT!!!!!!
I don't need to hide anything I buy, I buy what I want and like,when there is a sale he knows I will be right there to buy, he puts cash into my account to use ,he checks my account to see if I have enough in it, he also ask if I need more, He sometimes comes with me and picks out what he likes, he also ask if I have enough to make our grandchildren something , some times he will pick out some designs he likes for them, he bought me a new Bernina 440QE .. love it , He is a great support , I could not ask for a better person, Love you Honey and thank you for being my best ..
Old 08-25-2011, 02:42 AM

At first my husband didn't understand but as weeks went by and he saw how happy I was he began to compliment me on my purchases. I have a decent job and work everyday so I don't see why I can't indulge in something that makes me happy. I no longer complains about his watches all of which looks the same to me. He no longer talks about the different kinds of pinks, florals, black etc., fabric I have. He even complimented me on my new FW. He doesn't know about the 99k and 301a I am buying but that is for another time.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:09 AM

Heck no I don't hide it. LOL He is an enabler! He'll follow me around a Quilt Shop asking "You sure you don't want more?" Unless he wants to go buy a larger house I am trying to not buy quite as much as I used to. About to run out of room! LOL

Funny but embarrassing thing happened one year at the Houston Quilt Show. I was at a booth that I had shopped at a lot online, paying out with my credit card and the lady said "Well my goodness! How nice to finally put a face to your name!!! How nice to meet you!!!" My face began to burn and I could not even look at DH.LOL Got away and he said "Hmmmm and how did she know your name?" LOL Busted!!! So after that I decided to tell him about all of my purchases. LOL He could care less as long as the credit cards are paid off every month. If I write checks, he never has said a word either.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:13 AM
Banned

Im glad I dont have a hubby that I feel I have to hide things from! Mine is glad when I find fabrics,very supportive,has bought some for me.But I am very frugal,and shop within my means.Hes a keeper!